Chapter Twenty Eight: Another Party

Harry's POV

Monday. I hate Mondays. They come every week, so really, I shouln't be complaining this much, but Mondays suck. They always have sucked, and they probably always will. The weekend was wonderful. I spent most of my time with Louis. It was great.

But Monday had to come around and ruin everything. Like it always did.

But this Monday was different. It was my birthday. Of course my birthday landed on a Monday. I should be excited, like any normal person would be on their birthday. But no, I was not even close to excited. I was turning 17 in my senior year. That wasn't normal. But I'm not normal anyway. I didn't like telling people it was my birthday, because then they'd ask my age, and then they'd think of me as a child.

The weather was still cold, still dreary. I wrapped myself in a coat and scarf, grabbed my keys, and left for school. Of course I had to open my car door 3 times, start the engine 3 times, and for good measure, close the door 4 times.

Louis hadn't texted me anything birthday related yet, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he forgot. I'd only mentioned it once, and I had no plans to throw a huge party like he had. I still had too many bad memories floating around from that party. I parked my car in my usual spot, and got out, to see Louis standing there. He had his hands behind his back, and was shivering, his eyes on the frosty ground. I chuckled and trotted over to him.

"What are you doing out here? It's freezing!" Louis looked up when he heard my voice, and a smile immediately spread across his face.

"You're worth it," he said. To my surprise, he pulled out a red rose from behind his back and held it out to me.

"Happy birthday!" he cheered. My mouth was gaped open, out of shock mostly. I took the rose from his hand and wrapped my arms around him, our bodies warming each other from the cold air around us.

"Thank you," I whispered sincerely. How could anyone be so sweet?

"I love you," he muttered back, hugging me tighter. I relaxed into him, breathing in his scent.

"I love you too."

We pulled apart, and I immediately missed his warmth. Lifting the flower to my nose, I inhaled the sweet fragrance. I looked up at Louis. He smiled at me, and leaned in to press his lips against mine. I didn't even care if anyone saw. Louis made me feel safe, protected. He let me kiss him 3 more times, without any complaint, not that he ever complained.

Taking my hand in his, we walked to first period. Maybe this birthday will be different. Maybe it will be alright.

*

When lunch rolled by, so far the only one who had recognized my birthday was Louis. I walked in alone to the library, hands tucked in my pockets, eyes on the floor. I heard commotion as I got closer to our table. Liam had his feet on the table, throwing and catching a ball in the air. Zayn and Niall were laughing and talking with each other, siting very close to each other. Like, really close. Louis was on his phone in his usual seat, probably reading. I sat down without making myself noticed. Louis looked up and smiled at me.

"Hey!" he said, setting down his phone. The rest of the group looked up, and all of them smiled.

"Happy birthday!" Niall cheered. I looked over at him with curiosity.

"Yeah, mate, happy birthday!" said Liam, patting me on the back.

"Yeah," joined in Zayn. He was smiling, not in the sinister way, in the warm, sweet way.

My heart was suddenly filled with warmth.

"So, what do you plan on doing for your party?" asked Niall.