Chapter 2: Return

Anna

Shoot! I'm going to be late! 

I shoved the last of my cereal into my mouth before hopping off my chair. "Where the heck is my bag?! Where are my shoes?! Gah, junior year's off to a great start!" I groaned, frantically searching around my kitchen. 

"Anna, your stuff is at the door. You left it there before you came to breakfast," Mom calmly said, shooting me an amused look.

My eyes went to the door and sure enough, there they were. "Oh...right." I slumped back down, holding my head in my hands. "Sorry. I'm super frazzled, right now."

Mom giggled, running a hand through her dark-brown hair. "It's all right, Little Bird," she sighed. "First days are always stressful."

I fidgeted with my own hair, blue ends slipping through my fingers. "I know, I know..." My heart raced at the thought of starting my junior year, throat drying and skin clammy. "I just have a million thoughts racing through my head."

"Then use those thoughts to keep you occupied during long lectures." She stood up, walking over to me. "You can get through this, my dear. You always do," she said, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

I left things off awkwardly. Not only that, but I have many expectations to live up to! I have to keep my class rank, I want to keep up my streak of straight A's, I'm an upperclassman, I-

"Anna, I know you're freaking out. Take a deep breath."

I did as Mom told me, trying to calm my nerves. Just let things come and go. Everything will work out. 

But I don't like not having control over my anxieties.

Mom glanced at the clock, eyes widening. "Oh! You should head out soon, though!" She exclaimed. "Are you going to drive?"

I rushed towards the door, slipping on my shoes. As I stood, my periwinkle blazer got caught beneath my feet. Damn me for wearing it around my waist, then. I don't think I've worn it normally since the day I got it. "Yeah, I'll drive. I want to see if I prefer it over walking to and from."

She nodded. "Gotcha." She turned away as she spoke her next sentence. "R-remember, you're on your own for dinner, tonight. I'm going out with...my friend."

I smiled at her, amusement bubbling throughout me. "Mom, you don't have to hide the fact that you're going on a date," I laughed. "You've been seeing this mystery person for months, now! I'm not that oblivious!"

Over the summer, my mom got back into the dating scene. After years of healing from my father and finally receiving closer, she decided that she was ready to date once more. However, even though it has been months, Mom still wouldn't give me much information on who the person she was dating. I didn't even know their name! I could only hope that I would be able to meet this person who was making my mother so happy soon.

She hid her blushing face. "I-I know! I'm still getting used to dating someone!"

Ha! She's acting like a schoolgirl with a crush! Still, I'm super happy to see her get out there, again. She deserves it.

Although, I guess I'm not really one to talk. I still haven't talked to anyone about Chrom...

...

"Anna!" Olivia, barreled into me, hugging me tightly. "I haven't seen you in forever! How have you been?"

I laughed, hugging the pink-haired girl back. "It's only been a month, Livi! It's not my fault that you've been on vacation for the entirety of August!"

Although Chrom was my absolute best friend in this whole entire world, Olivia gave him a run for his money. Not only was she in Guard with me, but also Choir and other theatrical activities. She has been with me through the entirety of my high school career, and though we may not have been friends at first, she and I were always the most comfortable around each other.

"I know! But I'm just so excited to see you!"

"Has the reunion started without us?" The smooth yet playful voice of Cherche spoke. 

I turned around to face the pink-haired junior, having to look up to meet her eye. Gods, she got so tall! "Hey, Cherche! It's great to see you!" 

With her was Virion, a former Fleurian exchange student who moved to our country a few months ago. "It is not much of a reunion if not many are here," he said, tossing his pale-blue hair back.

"Well, our group will be significantly reduced today, anyway." And out popped Sully, followed by Vaike. She crossed over to Virion and gave him a quick kiss, sliding her hand into his.

Vaike groaned. "I forgot yer dating. Gross." He shook his head. "Stahl and Cordelia are busy with some student council thing," he whispered nerds under his breath, "Frederick and Libra are at a senior meeting, Kellam just disappeared, and Miriel is most likely in class already."

What about Chrom? Have we completely forgotten about him? My heart fluttered at the thought of him. Nooo! Stop it! Not now, feelings! 

"Hey! Wait up!" Sumia called out as she ran towards us, Gaius in tow. "We had to take care of an emergency!"

In both of their hands were pastries, definitely still fresh. "What kind of emergency?" Olivia giggled.

"A breakfast one," Gaius said, taking a bite of a donut.

"Can't say I'm not surprised," I sighed, amused. "You're lucky that Stahl isn't here. He would've crucified you for not bringing him anything."

We conversed for a few minutes, sharing bits about our summer and going over our schedules. I already knew I had English with Chrom, Sumia, and Cordelia, but apparently, Cherche was moved into our hour. Olivia and I shared Choir, of course, but also our Creative Writing class for the second semester of school. I had Advanced Algebra with Gaius (which still shocked me that he was taking) but we also had lunch together, along with Chrom, Olivia, Cordelia, and Stahl. I was alone for Chon'sinese 2, no surprise there, and also for my first-semester elective: Mythology. Finally, I shared my history class with Cherche, Virion, and Vaike.

As we talked, I grew more and more concerned for my best friend's whereabouts. He's not usually this late... Did he get hurt? Lost? Gods, why didn't he text me if something's wrong! I have to- 

"I'm so sorry! It took forever dropping off Lissa!" Chrom panted, jogging up to our little circle.

My heart sang in relief. Oh, thank the gods!

"'Bout time you showed up! You almost gave poor Anna a heart attack!" Vaike teased, bumping Chrom's side with his elbow.

Heat crept upon my cheeks. "Hey!"

Chrom looked just about as flushed as me. "I-I wouldn't be that dramatic!"

Whispers and winks were exchanged throughout our friends, making me want to murder them even more. I don't need this. I really don't need this right now. I need to find better friends.

Then, Chrom released a hearty sigh, giving me a deadpan look. "Off to a great start already."

I shook my head, burying my face in my hands. "Yep. Couldn't be better."

Let's just see what this new year has to bring...

*****
...Good morning. So yesterday was homecoming and yeah. I didn't go to sleep until 2 AM 😅 LISTEN, WE WERE WATCHING G-FORCE SO WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?! I need to go back to bed. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!