Chapter 19

*Emily's POV*

"Ace." I said as my voice cracked. I sat there and held him in my arms. I buried my face into his chest and cried silently. After a while I stopped and stood up. 'I need to keep going. I need to live...for him.' I thought. I took a deep breath and grabbed the key. Leaving his lifeless body on the floor I quietly exited the room. I walked down the dark hallways. And looked for a door that I could unlock. I could barely see as I stepped out into the hallway. I was exhausted and hungry. How many hours have we been trapped in this school? I jogged quietly and came to another dark hallway.

I heard footsteps echoing throughout the school and I began to freak out. My heart was beginning to race and my head was spinning. I can't think straight. I began to breath heavily and my vision was getting blurry. I closed my eyes tightly and tried to calm myself down. 'I cannot pass out right now.' I thought. I opened my eyes and my vision became clearer. I sighed and walked around quietly. My eyes finally began to adjust to the dark and it was a good time. I gasped and ran as fast as I could. 

"Hey! Get back here!" I heard a deep voice yell from behind me. 'Please... no.' I thought as a tear rolled down my cheek. a loud bang rang through my ears as I heard something whiz past my ear. My eyes widened and I quickly turned the corner. 'I need to lose him." I thought. I heard the man reload his gun and I pushed myself to run faster. I looked around frantically for a place to hide. I choked back a loud sob and forced my legs to move faster. Another bang echoed and I began to breath even heavier. 'Am I the only one alive?' I wondered. I blinked multiple times and turned another corner and entered a room as quickly as I could. I held my breath and waited for the man to pass. I heard his footsteps come by and they stopped. I began to freak out as I stared at his feet in front of the door. I ran farther into the room and hid under a desk. I looked around to find something that I could use to defend myself. 

"Let me in." he demanded as he tried to open the door. I locked my visual on a baseball bat. I quickly ran over to it and grabbed it. I stood in silence as I began to inch slowly towards the door. I waited and watched his shadow from under the door. He began to bang on the door and I jumped. "Let me in now!" he demanded angrily. I began to shake a little bit but I was able to hold my composure. I waited for a while until I finally saw his shadow disappear. I let out a sigh of relief and lowered the bat to my side. 

I then heard groaning coming from beside the desk and I quickly turned around to see a girl getting up. She blinked a couple of times and then looked around. "Wh-Who are you?" I asked her. She looked at me and smiled. "Hello there." she said as she began to slowly walk toward me. I tightened my grip on the baseball bat and she slowly pulled out a knife from her pant pocket. 

She began to run towards me and I quickly blocked her attack with the bat. she growled and then kicked me in the ribs. I yelled and fell onto the floor. I ignored the pain and quickly rolled to the right and avoided her next attack. I quickly sat up and kicked her in the leg. She fell to the floor. I raised my bat to hit her but she kicked me in the chest. I coughed and held my chest. I threw my bat in front of me as she brought down her knife. I quickly kicked her away from me before she could get me back onto the floor. She backed away to keep her balance and narrowed her eyes at me.

"You have some experience, don't you?" I said nothing in response and she chuckled. she ran forward and I quickly moved away from the wall. The knife made a whole in the wall and she turned her head. "You're pretty quick." she said. She charged forward and I quickly grabbed her wrist and threw her over my back. She coughed at the blow and looked up at me. I quickly raised the bat and hit her in the head before she could get away. I panted and dropped the bloody bat as I looked at the girl. Her face was covered in blood and her eyes were dull. I stumbled backwards and leaned against the wall. I stared at her lifeless body and my hands began to shake. I never thought that I would have to kill someone. I covered my eyes and tried to steady my breathing. 

After a couple of minutes I stood up and turned to the door. I felt my pocket for the key and I sighed in relief as I felt it. I opened the door and walked outside to continue to find the door. My heart began to race and I kept my eyes pealed for anyone that was around. I walked around for a while and then I finally came to one of the exit doors. I quickly hid behind the wall once I saw a man standing in front of the exit. I peaked around the corner and watched as the man stood completely still. 

"Emily." I heard someone whisper from behind me as a hand was place on my shoulder. I quickly turned around and was about to scream but Micah covered my mouth with his hand. "Shh." He said quietly. I was overjoyed to see him standing there. I wasn't the only one alive. I quietly gasped as I saw Caleb with a knife in he stomach. He looked up at me and smiled. "What's up?" he said quietly. I looked at Micah and he gave me serious expression. "Do you have a key?" He asked. I nodded and took the key out of my pocket. he nodded and peaked around the corner. 

"We need to get him away from that door." He whispered. I nodded in agreement and look to him to see if he had any ideas. "We may have to fight our way out." He said. My eyes widened. I didn't want to fight anyone anymore. I wanted to hit myself when I realized that I left the bat in the other room. "Do you have a weapon?" I asked him. He looked at me and shook his head. I sighed and we stood thinking. "Take the knife." Caleb said from behind us. We quickly turned around to see Caleb motioning to the knife in his stomach. Micah and my eyes widened and I felt tears form in my eyes. 

"No way. If we take that out then you'll die immediately." Micah said. "I'm not going to make it anyway. You two have a higher chance of survival." he said. "N-No there has to be another way." I said, frantically trying to form another idea that could get the three of us out of here alive. I began to breath quickly as I realized that I couldn't think of anything else. "Emily." Caleb said. I looked at him with tears in my eyes. "It's alright." he said. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I stared at his face. Micah looked down at the floor and said nothing. "Micah, you need to take the knife." he said. Micah clenched his fists and tears rolled down his cheeks. "I can't do that." Micah whispered. Caleb sighed and gripped the knife. "Then I will." He said. "Promise me you will both make it out of here." He whispered. I choked and whimpered. "W-we... promise." I said. He smiled and pulled the knife out. He looked up as a tear escape from his eyes and he brought his hand onto the floor with the knife in it. My throat burned and my tears were coming down uncontrollably. 

I looked over and saw Micah's fists shaking as he stared at the ground. He slowly reached for the knife and held it tightly in his hand. "Let's go." He mumbled. I nodded and we checked to see if the man was facing our way. Micah growled and charged at the man. I followed him from behind and the unknown man readied himself. We went different ways surrounding him and I hit the man in the back of the head. He turned to me angrily and raised his knife to stab me but he stopped. I looked up at the man's face and blood came out of his mouth. He fell to the floor and Micah and I looked at each other. 

"The key." he said. I nodded and then inserted the key into the door. 'Please.' I thought. The door made a small clicking sound and I opened the door to see policemen pull up. My eyes lit up when I saw the come out and run toward us. "Don't worry you two are safe now." One of the policemen said. Ambulances arrived a few seconds later and put us on stretchers. I looked over at Micah and he smiled at me. "We did it." he mouthed. I nodded and I closed my eyes and fell asleep knowing that we were going to be alright.