twelve

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
CAN I CALL YOU TONIGHT
DAYGLOW
  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
[ chapter twelve! ]

jane immediately felt nervous as she stepped through the front door of jennifer hayes' home. the loud music blasting through the speakers, flashing party lights and crowds of teenagers wasn't exactly something she was used to.

her breath quickened as the group begins to walk in through the large, open house. some of the teenagers gave her odd looks, staring at her as if she was some sort of extraterrestrial alien.

but she knew why they were staring. because she was labelled as 'the school freak.' and why would the school freak be at a high school house party?

jane began to feel uncomfortable, rubbing her arm as she looked down at her feet shyly. mike noticed this, and wastes no time to put a hand around her waist, guiding her through the crowds.

jane quickly felt more calm, her breathing slowing as mike rubbed his thumb along her hip.

the group stop at a spare sofa, everyone sitting down except will and dustin who run off to dance somewhere amongst the energetic teens.

jane sits next to mike, resting her head on his shoulder as he holds her gently.

"you okay?" he says softly into her ear as she looks at him

she nods in response, still trying to get used to her very new surroundings.

just as jane was beginning to feel better after the very cold welcome, her mood was immediately ruined once again by a girl strutting towards them.

stacey stops in front of the pair, hands on her hips as she stares at them both. jane immediately felt intimidated as stacey glared her. she was dressed in a short red mini dress, red heels and her hair was curly and out of control.

"hey mike, can i talk to you?" stacey says sweetly, her glossy red lips smirking as she notices a frown appear on jane's face.

"i'm good" mike says lazily, holding jane tighter  as stacey glares at him coldly.

"it's just a quick question! it'll only take you a few minutes!" stacey insists, twirling a strand of hair around her finger as she gives a very obvious fake smile to the pair.

"you're not going to leave us alone until i come, are you?" mike groans, throwing his head back dramatically.

"no. probably not." stacey says with a small laugh as she crosses her arms.

with a scoff, mike stands up from the sofa, rolling his eyes in the process.

he turns to jane, giving her a reassuring smile. "i'm sure it's nothing, don't worry"

  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"what do you want stacey?" mike asks coldly as he walks into the empty room with her.

"my grades are dropping. and i need them back up." stacey answers as she sits on the bed, not losing eye contact with the boy.

"okay, how am i involved in your shit grades?" mike asks harshly as he stands by the door, keeping his distance from the girl.

"jesus, you're the smartest kid in the year and you can't figure this out? i need you as a tutor dummy" she says with an eye roll as she leans forward.

"why the hell do you think i'd tutor you?" mike asks with his eyebrows furrowed together.

"you don't really have a choice" stacey says with a dramatic sigh as she checks her nails.

"what are you talking about?" mike asks loudly, becoming angrier by the minute.

"i know for a fact that jane means a lot to you. i can tell. so let's just say this; if you don't tutor me, then you're little crush will dread walking through those school doors. in other words, i'll make her life living hell." stacey says, walking towards mike slowly.

mike doesn't say anything in response, instead he just stares at the girl blankly as she walks closer and closer to him.

"oh, and you can't tell jane that you're tutoring me. i don't want people finding out about my grades. got it nerd?" stacey asks as she pokes mike's chest."so, do we have ourselves a deal?" stacey asks with a smug smirk, clearly feeling satisfied with herself.

"what am i supposed to tell jane" is all mike can say as stacey moves dangerously close to his face.

"i'm sure you can figure that out" stacey says carelessly with a shrug as she opens the door to leave.

"bye wheeler" she says with a wink, strutting out the room, swaying her hips side to side.

  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

mike runs around the house, desperate to find jane. but she was nowhere. he looked for her distinctive small petite figure, messy curls and floral dress. however she had disappeared.

he began to quickly panic as he continues to run in an out of crowded rooms.

mike then makes his way upstairs, quickly knocking on doors in hopes to hear her soft voice call out to him.

he knocks loudly on the door at the end of the corridor, waiting patiently for an answer, however when no noise comes from the room he opens the door slowly.

"jane?" he calls out with desperation in his voice as he peers into the bedroom. jane was sat there alone, her head resting on her knees as she sat against the bed.

mike sighed in relief and quickly ran up to her, holding her hands as she looks up at him.

"i c-couldn't find you! i was worried-" mike rambles nervously as he feels begins to feel guilty.

"it's fine" jane mumbles tiredly in response as she rubs her eyes.

"why did you go? did something happen?" mike asks worriedly as he sits down in front of the girl.

"i shouldn't have come here- i don't feel comfortable-" jane says with a sigh as she runs a hand through her messy brown hair.

"what why?" mike asks as he shakes his head, becoming confused.

"because i constantly feel like i'm being judged okay! i feel as if i'm not wanted here, people l-look at me as if i'm some freak. and it feels shit  mike. and you're the only person who i wanted to be with tonight and you leave me to go off with stacey! the girl that treats me like garbage!" jane shouts angrily as tears begin to stream down her face.

"what?! no jane you don't understand-" mike stutters nervously as he grabs the girls hand once again.

however without hesitation jane yanks her hand away, standing up in the process.

"you're right mike, i don't understand."