Chapter 2: Fright

Start from the beginning

"And I'm Loki and I know it!" Tom roared and left the rock, attempting to hit me with his branch. I quickly grabbed my own - our duel began. We fenced like there was no tomorrow.

"You two are disgraceful!" Loki remarked, much like a 90-year-old fart seeing kids playing on his lawn. Could this guy never have some fun?

"And you are so boring!" I replied and hit Tom in the place you should never hit a man. He fell and groaned in pain, his face pressed to the grass muffling his scream.

"Better." Loki commented and smirked.

"Next? Maybe you, Loki?" I provoked and looked up.

"You would lose anyway. And a man of honour does not fight girls."

"Perfect! As I recall, your daddy took your honour years ago?"

Loki closed his book forcefully. The thud could be heared even down here. He jumped out of the window, landing gracefully and smoothly on the grass.

"Oh, please..." He murmured as he passed groaning Tom, taking his branch.

"Let's see how dangerous you really are."

Do you know that feeling, when you've made a really, really, really bullshit decision? That was how I felt. They said dogs that bark don't bite. Loki had never barked. And now he was going to bite.

Then, he hurled the branch against me, and I jumped just right in time so he wouldn't knock me off my feet. I fell with a thud. That fucking stick had missed my head by less than an inch. I didn't even want to know what would've happened if he had hit me. No, he would't ever... would he?

I tried to reach my branch,but Loki put his foot on it. Disarmed. Shit.

Standing up, I checked my surroundings for anything that I could use to defend myself. Not that I could actually ever hurt him (unless there was a random knife chillin' 'round). Loki picked my branch up and broke it, tossing the two pieces away and laughing menacingly.

I widened my eyes and looked feignedly shocked at something above his head. Loki noticed that and immediately turned around to see what was distracting me.

I instantly grabbed the chance and kicked the hollow of his knees, causing him to fall on his back. Then I jumped at him and pinned him to the ground surprisingly easy. I looked into his face and he wore that stupid, creepy grin that I hated.

"I give you three seconds, exactly three bloody seconds, to wipe that stupid looking grin off your face or - " I threatened, but got interrupted by something behind my back.

"...or what?"

Double-Shit!

I spun around, the clone underneath me vanished and the real Loki was towering me. Suddenly, more and more Lokis began to appear around me, laughing a sadistic and gut-wrenching laugh that scared me to the depths of my soul. It wouldn't have, normally. But my mind was compromised. I was scared like a child. I couldn't move. That was unfair, beyond the limit. I couldn't stand up to him, he was mentally trapping me and all my confidence vanished into thin air.

I knew he would never really hurt me, but this was simply too much. I put my hands on my ears and screamed.

"Stop!"

But he never stopped, instead, he even worsened the situation.

"Why, my dear Caroline? Are you afraid?"

"I said stop it, Loki!"

"Am I scaring you?" The clones said all together, malice written all over their faces.

"Loki!"

"Am I?"

"Stop, please!"

"She said stop it!" I heard Loki saying, but it turned out it had never been Loki.

Tom had stood up and ran against Loki headfirst, wrapping his arms around his waist and ramming his head into Loki's back. They both landed only inches away from me, striking and kicking each other. I had never seeen Tom fight until then - it looked almost like a dance. A deadly dance.

The clones had disappeared, and once I recollected myself I ran over to them to end the fight.

Tom was about to dash Loki against the wall of the house. I grabbed him from behind in an attempt to hold him back.

"Guys! The fuck is wrong with you two!" I shouted at them. Loki was out of breath and blood was streaming down from Tom's lips.

"You will never, ever do this again." Tom retorted furiously and punched Loki's shoulder, daring him to do what again.

"What, now I need to ask for permission? Mortal." Loki hissed with that certain look.

"Loki, he's right! What you did was mean and I told you to stop, why didn't you? And Tom, that doesn't give you the permission to beat him like this! You're both in the wrong!" I stated and gave them death-stares.

"Excuse me for my behaviour." Loki spat with a constrained voice.

"Excuse me for beating the shit out of you." Tom responded.

"Good boys, now shake hands." I told them und ran my hand through my hair.

"No." They both refused.

"Do it!"

Finally they did, though certainly unwilling. The whole day got out of control, perfect.

"Would you like to go for a walk with me?" I asked Loki, I sensed there was need for talking.

"I am currently busy. If you'll excuse me, I will leave now." Loki stated and left us, probably going to read again.

"I'll come with you. Come on, sweetheart." Tom whispered gently and we strolled through the forest. In the woods, Tom began to speak.

"Caroline... You know I just wanted to protect you. I simply can not see you like that, on your knees and whimpering... It was hurting me. I really didn't knew what to do and then I just felt like I had to fight him off of you."

"I totally understand you, Tom. And to tell you the truth, I am secretly grateful you did it. This dude was freaking me out. But don't you dare tell him I was afraid or I will blow you up faster than you can say 'Frost-Giant-Powers'!" I threatend and put my arm around his waist.

I often needed someone to hold onto and Tom was the most prefect man for this. He was sentimental and understanding. And he had a calmness, which Loki sometimes lacked. It was like he was boiling beneath his skin.

Loki was also a great comforter, but with him it was different. I didn't want to cry in front of him and they way he sometimes touched me gave me the chills. There was such a contrast between his cold, yet frighteningly gentle touch and Tom's warm, loving stroke.

He had just been a short while with us, and there were already problems between him and Tom.

Lost in thoughts, I entwined my fingers with his. They had to fix this, to agree. As much as I loved Tom, I couldn't see him hurting Loki in any way because I considered Loki a big brother.

"Feel better now?"

"I think so." Tom responded and I couldn't help but smile and kiss his cheek.

"You know, for someone who was used to formal English, you're improving very much. Though I sometimes miss your elevated style, but I still have Loki for this."

"You're hopelessly random, my love."

"Ah, shut up and kiss me, you fool." I whispered grabbing his hair and pulling him down to me.