Chapter Twenty-Two: Looks Like You've Seen A Ghost

Start from the beginning

Looks like Mr No Show finally has the balls to look at me.

"Or is it not trying to contact me when I had no choice but to watch the most important person in my life get sicker as the days went by? Sitting at home with your new wife while you knew your daughter was sitting by her mother's death bed, alone."

I let out a strangled sob but I don't dare let it stop me from saying what I have to say.

This isn't just for me.

It's for her. The greatest woman I've ever known.

I'm not—and never will be—interested in rekindling our relationship.

"Nope I think I've got it," I say bitterly. "It was not being there while she... W-While she watched her mother take her last breath. I was the one sobbing on the hospital floor.

I was the one pleading the doctors to let me stay when they dragged me out of the room to watch them try and revive her. I was that person because you weren't there. Me. Not you. So don't say you're sorry because it doesn't change anything."

I aggressively wipe the tears from below my eyes. I can hear Nadia cry from behind him.

"I'm truly sorry for what you had to go through, Mandy. Once I found out I should've been there for you." I don't try and hear if there's even an ounce of sincerity in his voice.

"I'm not finished," I say fiercely. "She did both jobs once you walked out. She worked her ass off to provide for us because you didn't. My mum played the roles of both parents and no one could've done any better. We did just fine without you—actually, no, we did great without you. So as far as I'm concerned, both my parents are dead."

He looks at me with despair but I don't care.

"You're probably here for the money she left behind, right? Sorry to disappoint but it all went to medical bills. There's nothing left for you here, you can go."

He looks at more one more time, "I'm in town until Friday. If you wish to speak, I'll be delighted. I wrote my number on a piece of paper which is inside."

He turns to Nadia and Mark to say one last thing before getting in his car and driving off. "Thank you for your hospitality." He walks towards his car and drives off.

I breathe out and begin to cry again, that's if I even stopped. Cole immediately pulls me into his chest. I wrap my arms around him and inhale his scent, the smell of his cologne bringing me a large amount of comfort.

"W-Why did he have to s-show? I don't want to see him again, Cole." I hiccup and he pulls away to place his hand against my cheek. I lean into his touch and close my eyes as he wipes away some of my tears with his thumb.

"Hey listen to me," I open my eyes to meet his. "You don't have to. It's your choice, Princess. It's your choice." I continue to stare into his eyes and that's when I realise something.

I could look into them forever.

For the rest of my life I could get lost in his eyes.

He kisses the top of my head softly and that's when Nadia walks toward me. It's clear to me that she's been crying.

"I'm so sorry sweetie. I didn't know how you felt about your father so when I saw him, I couldn't turn him away. I wanted to, but I was trying to think of what you wanted. I guess I was wrong." I quickly wrap my arms around her and I stay there for a while.

"It's not your fault." I mumble.

The next ten minutes consists of all of us staying outside while we try and process what just happened and then we all head indoors.