Chapter Sixteen: First Love Heartbreak

We head into the all too familiar looking diner and stand around waiting for a waiter to take us to our table.

"Sorry, I'll be with you two in a second, we're extremely busy." It's true, the place is packed and now I'm starting to think maybe I should've taken Mia a place where it's a lot quieter.

I can't help but think back to the time Cole first brought me here.

"Are you ready to try the best food you've ever tasted?"

I smile at the thought of mine and Cole's visits here. I remember the first time he brought me here and the waitress hit on Cole and the waiter hit on me. I remember the fly near us and Cole freaking out and I remember when he took me here after I went to see my mum.

I remember all of it.

"Is it just the two of you?" We both nod and she leads us to our table. When we sit, I notice that we're opposite the booth I sat at with Cole the last time we were here. Stop thinking of him for god sakes.

Mia and I talk about our day and boring projects we have to work on for school but when I rest my chin on the palm of my hand to show that I'm completely listening, the jukebox catches my eye. Here we go again...

The jukebox.

I was laughing while dancing and jumping around and Cole is slumped in his chair, staring at me with an amused look. He's wearing a massive grin while looking at me.

"If you basically made me get up here, you are too so come on!" I call him over, waving my hand. Surprisingly, he gets up while his smile is growing bigger and bigger.

He playfully spins me around and I giggle while we move together.

The song ends after a while and I hug him. "Thank you." He knows what the thank you is for.

The smile on my face is huge and I'm surprised no one has told us to shut up but I'm glad no one has, I'm having an amazing time.

Cole's staring at me in a way I can't figure out, just like earlier and I try my hardest not to blush.

"What?"

He shakes his head while still having a massive smile on his face, "Nothing."

I smile at the memory. Even though that was one of the saddest days since my mum passed, he somehow made it one of the best days I've had since everything that's happened.

My smile soon is wiped off my face when the thoughts of why I'm here flood my mind. Mia notices my expression and stops what she's talking about, a look of worry taking over her face.

"What is it? Is it about the argument you and Josh are in? When you walked off, I knew something was wrong and he just said you had a little argument." He wishes it was just a little argument. I even wish it was a little argument so I don't have to tell her this.

I take her hand and worry turns to fear as she knows that I have nothing good to say.

"I'm so sorry, Mee."

She holds my hand tighter and leans closer, "What happened? You know you can tell me." Of course one of the kindest people in my life has to be the one to get hurt.

My mum's voice echoes in my head.

"Don't make the mistake of not telling her because not only is she stuck with a boyfriend who doesn't respect her, she'll be left thinking she's best friends with someone who doesn't care enough to tell her and you and I both know that isn't the case."