Chapter 2: Sinnerman

Start from the beginning

"Bloody hell," Jaime says as he glances around the shops. "This all looks so normal. I didn't know they'd make it feel just like it was."

"Yeah, apart from the soldiers everywhere," Peter says warily.

"And you haven't seen the wall yet, Jaime," Paula says, and he grimaces.

"Oh, yeah. I heard about that. Security measures, it's supposed to be."

"Sigrid put it up overnight a few months ago. It's supposed to be a security measure against zombies, but it does a better job against people than the zoms. It stops people from escaping zombies. It means we can't work together effectively. But mostly, it cuts off territory ceded to Abel from Sigrid's bit of UK."

"Not to mention the little pocket states in the middle," Peter says. "The wall cuts straight across London. Families were split up overnight." He scoffs bitterly. "This is what people are calling peace.

"We're supposed to put up with it because at least we're not killing each other. We're supposed to not worry about all the people who were stuck here with no way out, having to live under Sigrid's rule. We're supposed to be winning hearts and minds! Trying to torrent an uprising and-" He cuts himself off with a sigh, and I squeeze his wrist in a way that I hope is reassuring. "It's taking a long time. That's all I'm saying."

"It does." Jaime shrugs. "Revolution doesn't happen overnight. But I can try to help if we can get out of this."

Paula reaches into her backpack and pulls out a gas mask. "Here, Jaime. Put this one. That way, no one will spot you here on the streets. We can't afford to give Sigrid a reason to break the ceasefire. She knows we've got enough weapons to hurt her, but she could surely hurt us too."

Jaime nods as slips on the mask, and we continue running. These streets are less crowded, so we don't have to worry about slowing down. I sneer at the cafes and shops and restaurants. I don't know how everything's paid for, since money still has no value. It's probably through work for the Minister. Do what she wants and she'll give her the luxuries.

It makes me angry how people as horrible as Sigrid get good things in life while others have to fight to make it another day.

I mean, Abel always has enough for its residents, as does 'Fort Canton', since many of the New Canton residents have moved back in and have gotten rid of most of those shady people that tried to turn it into a sort of black market.

But even we don't have the luxuries these people have here. Although I guess poor freedom is better than a gilded cage.

"Alright, guys, you're gettin' close to the transport now. There were three people followin' you. They can't have seen Jaime's face," Jody says. "I think they've given up. Must have thought it was a glitch, maintenance people goin' out the wrong exit. Can you see the van parked by the river?"

Peter nods. "Got it. Your Majesty, why don't you go first? Get out of sight."

"Uh, yeah..." He says slowly. "You can just call me Jaime, mate."

He bristles. "Yes, well, we can talk about that when we're safe."

And as soon as the word 'safe' leaves his mouth, someone starts shooting.

There are screams from the few people around us as they duck for cover, terrified at the sound of more gunshots. The bullets take out the tires of our van, the air leaving rubber with a hiss.

"I'm going to say we did not give those people at the power station the slip, and they definitely saw Jaime's face!" Milo exclaims. I look around, trying to find the shooter. He's on a bridge. It's hard to tell, but I see the shadow in the dark. I squint, trying to get a better look at him. Peter grabs me and pulls me away from a bullet coming at me. I keep my eye on the shooter though, struggling against Peter's grip as he tries to pull me back.