Chapter Four - Bones

Thrashing this way and that had been become painfully usual to you in the recent weeks.  Reaper hadn't returned like he said he would, making this his longest leave of absence, one that was over three months long.

You'd be a fool to say you weren't worried for him, hell, how could you not be? The last time you saw him he had been vomiting something foul, something you couldn't define.

Your thoughts had been keeping you up, turning you into a mini insomniac, even though you barely knew the guy, your heart ached for his well being, for him.  You groaned as you finally decided to get out of bed, work was in just a few hours and you'd be going without a wink of sleep, just peachy.

You lazily made your way out of bed, deciding to get a little fancy with your makeup this time around, you had an extra hour to spare after all.  You ended up going with a light Smokey eye with a few red accents at the corners of your look.  You went with a slightly red highlighter and lip in attempt to tie the whole thing together, somehow you managed.

Satisfied with your makeup you did your hair and threw on your clothes, breakfast would have to be quick, due to your makeup extravaganza.  Not checking the time would nearly make you tardy this time around, just what you get for moping in your room.

Grabbing an apple and sinking your teeth into the fruit, you headed out of your apartment, the bar being just around the corner meant you could walk there. That didn't mean it was a fun walk, you managed to live in the worst part of town, only reason you did was because it was the only place you could afford.

The streets were old and caked with dirt, the sidewalk had too many cracks to count, and the street lights flickered constantly, not something nice to see at night. What was even better was that you had the night shift at the bar, meaning you slept during the day and your shift started at nine at night, which meant you had to walk alone, in the dark. Super comforting.

You fidgeted with your hands as you made your way to your job, stress whining down as you got closer and closer to your goal. You'd never had anything odd happen to you on these streets, and tonight wasn't an exception, you sighed as you entered the bar, glad to see some usuals already on their drinks.

You quickly made your way behind the bar counter, eager to start your job in attempts to distract yourself from the empty hole that plagued your stomach, you'd never admit it, but the stress was eating at you.

Forcing on a fake smile you took people's orders, pretending like you didn't hear their condescending comments or remarks on your appearance, you just didn't have the stomach to respond.

The small hole in the wall bar quickly went from desolate to packed in under an hour, it almost seemed like the bar was trying to make you loose your shit.  The people weren't letting up and neither were their comments, going from light hearted and flirty to dominant and slightly scary.

Had it always been like this in the bar?  People being flat out rude and awful, or had you managed to block it out all this time?  Whatever the answer was didn't matter, this was your job and you sure as hell weren't about to crumble from the awful remarks.

"Hey sweetie, how bout you get me another drink,"  an inebriated bar goer asked, he was at least a little polite, his eyes seemed to linger on your breasts, but at least he didn't attempt to touch them.

You flashed him a fake smile as you began to make him another beer, this was around his seventh one, the alcohol percentage wasn't very high, but you made a mental note to cut him off after he asked for another.

Sliding the drink over to him you made sure to lean just a bit, a tease like that was fairly popular with the guys, you were sure to squeeze a few extra bucks out of the guy.