Ruby Red

It is almost two hours later, when I hear a knock at the door of my hut. I open it to find Cirrus, holding a bowl of stew, and two glasses of ale.

‘Are you okay?’ he asks sympathetically.

I nod, ‘Why can’t I go out, Cirrus?’ I question, looking into his caramel-coloured eyes.

He smiles slightly. ‘I think it’s time you knew, Rose. You are not a child anymore.’

‘Time I knew what?’

‘The reason you are not like the others, Rose, is because you don’t belong to a clan. You are not of the mountains, or the river, or the ocean. Nor are you of the marsh, the tundra, or the forest. You are from the line of kings, stretching back hundreds of years.’

‘But if what you say is true, Cirrus, where are my parents?’

A strange look crosses his face, almost as if he is terribly upset. ‘Back when you were little more than a baby, there was a war between the clans. Your father rode out to battle, in an attempt to bring an end to the conflict, your mother staying at home with you. I was there when it happened. My clan were on the opposite side to the king, but I refused to fight him, and was trying to ride away, when a man, my own father, struck him a fatal blow. Your father knew he was dying, but I lifted him away, riding as fast as I could.

‘Before he died, he made me swear something to him. I swore I would protect you, until the time came for you to fulfil your destiny. He died moments later, and I left his body in his tent, while I rode away to the castle, to warn you and your mother of the terrible danger you were both in.

‘I arrived to tell your mother of your father’s death, only to discover that she was not there, only to discover from the few men left that she had run back to her clan, the tundra clan, to marry the chief, leaving you behind.’

I was left open-mouthed by his story. My mother left me, and my father died. So I was truly alone. I would always be alone. My mother didn’t even care if I lived or died. Instead, she abandoned me and my father for the chief of a clan that wanted to kill me and my father.

I am in turmoil. How could she abandon her baby, in a time when there were many out for her blood? How could she leave when her husband was at war, battling to save his kingdom? How could she betray her family, her baby? What kind of a woman was she, the mother who abandoned me? What would make a woman do that? Did she not love us as much as she loved the man who would end our lives? Was I not good enough?

‘Rose, I didn’t want to upset you, but you’re old enough to understand now.’ He tells me.

‘I know Cirrus. But I need your help. I’m ready to do what he wanted. I’m old enough now.’

‘No you’re not! I swore I’d protect you, and you will not be safe to do that. You’re too young to do this. I’m not going to let you hurt yourself like this.’

‘I’m old enough, and I want to. If you won’t help me, I’ll find someone else who will, and I’ll do it. It’s your choice Cirrus. You know I don’t want to leave you again, but if I have to I will. There’s no place for me here, you know it. I don’t belong.’

‘I’m not letting you go it alone. I can’t break my promise. It was your father’s dying wish that you be safe.’

‘Then come with me, Cirrus. I need you.’ I tell him, looking up at him sadly.

‘Fine, I’ll come with you. But first we need an army, and a big one. We must travel first to the lake of Arian.’

‘Why, Cirrus?’ I question.

‘For the nymphs of the lake have your father’s sword. Erianial, he called it. It had a ruby hilt and the sword can cut through anything. It is made of diamond.’ Cirrus tells me.

‘But I don’t understand how that will help us…’ I say quietly.

‘Rose, you might not realise, but whatever happens, there will be battles, and people will get hurt. You are going to have to fight.’

‘We must plan.’ I tell him, and we sit down with a piece of parchment and Cirrus draws a map. I light a candle. This could be a long night.