Episode 36: Hug?

"Collin, Collin," Cyan called, shaking Star awake

"Collin, Collin," Cyan called, shaking Star awake. Cyan had set a plate of food on the coffee table in front of him. "Food is ready."

Star couldn't resist and dug into the bowl of pasta. His human need for nourishment overrode everything else.

"Want seconds?" Cyan asked as she took the now empty bowl.

Star felt hollow inside as he recalled what En had said.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine."

Honey jumped up and nudged the bowl.

"If you want more, there's no shame in that. Honey seems to think you do."

Alastair sighed. "You're supposed to be on my side, girl!"

"I think she is." Cyan gave him another bowl. "Sometimes, we need things and are just too stubborn to say so."

Alastair had to ask. "Why haven't you gotten angry like everybody else?"

"What do you mean?" Head tilted, Cyan furrowed her eyebrows.

He looked straight at her. "People in this world hate Key Keepers, so why don't you?"

"Like everyone else, I grew up being taught that Key Keepers were evil people. That your kind sought to finish what Marcus began, to destroy Nachima. But getting to know you, I can't help but wonder if that's the case. It could be that you're the exception to the rule. Regardless, you aren't evil. Maybe dumb, but not cruel."

"Was that dumb part necessary?"

She brushed her fingers against his cheeks like Del often did when he felt crummy. "You can't continue to carry this burden alone. It will destroy you. I want to help you however I can."

He couldn't help but burst into tears. It almost felt like he was back in Big Brother Del's lap.

He wished he hadn't done that to her, but he couldn't stop himself.

"Are you scared?"

"It's like being a kid again..." His voice was raw. "Everything's scary..."

She stroked his hair. "New places can be like that. Especially if they aren't nice places. We have all the time in the world to change that, though."

His head flopped over. He felt dizzy.

"What is it?" she asked.

Arm out, he found the strength to smile.

"Aw..." Cyan put her arms around him. "It's alright, Collin. I really don't mind helping you like this. These little moments make that more than worth it."

In that moment, Cyan was so much like Vi. He was too drained to do anything but relish in that feeling. If he was being honest with himself, he liked it.