Chapter Three: Nightmares

Start from the beginning

Harley walked back into the warm building and his hand clutched the cold metal of his pendent. He let out a long breath that he hadn't been holding. Leo had always told him that girls were bad news, he really wished he has listened to him, but at least he was listening now.

A loud thump echoed through the corridor. Harley spun around on his heels and saw Cassie sprawled out on the floor, the electric door opening and closing, avoiding the still body in it's way. Harley's breathing became fast and deep. His chest felt heavy. He could hear his heart beat hammering away. He suddenly found it extremely difficult to breathe.

She wasn't moving.

"Cassie?" He asked crouching down next to her. "Cassie?" Harley repeated, shaking her shoulder gently.

There was no response from her, and Harley didn't know what to do. He rolled her over slightly, so she was lying on her side and not her front. No blood. His breathing started to slow down. He lowered his cheek to her mouth. She's breathing. He closed his eyes and stopped all the thoughts running around in his head.

He placed a finger on her lips. It's not lipstick. She's freezing. Harley put his arm under Cassie's neck and legs and scooped her into his arms. She needed medical attention, even if that meant that they both got in trouble. Even if that meant he got kicked out of the Academy, he wasn't going to leave her there, in the hopes that she would come around.

"You're going to be okay," he muttered to her as he sped down the winding corridors heading towards Mrs. Barlow's office. "Shit," he spat as he realised that it was the middle of the night and there was no chance that she would be in.

Harley sucked in a sour breath and continued down the corridor. His thumb absent-mindedly rubbing the top of Cassie's arm through her jumper. He glanced down at the ginger girl in his arms and noticed that her lips were no longer purple and had begun to turn a light shade of pink. Her body twitched slightly in his arms. Shit, shit. Please don't fit.

"Har-" Cassie begun but was instantly hushed by Harley. Worried that the wasted breath on his name would cause irreversible damage or would delay her recovery. "My room... Epi-pen..."

Harley nodded in understanding and continued past the infirmary. He took a left and stood outside the door to the girl's corridor. He looked down at Cassie whose eyes were hazed over yet staring intently at the small scar on the underside of his chin.

"Have you got the key? I can't get us in with mine..." Harley whispered.

Cassie patted her pocket. "I can stand," she replied, her voice weak and hoarse.

Harley lowered her to her feet but kept a firm arm around her waist to support her. He knew that going into the girl's corridor, Hell, going into a girl's room would get him in serious trouble but he had to. He had to know that she was okay. Even though he didn't know her that well, he felt obligated to her. Cassie lifted the key card to the scanner and the door clicked. Harley led Cassie through the door – holding it open over the top of her head.

"What room?" He asked as he supported her weight as she took over the lead, leading him past the number of doors.

104. Cassie lifted her card to the door, it clicked again, Harley tenderly pushed the door open. He prayed that whoever she was sharing a room was a heavy sleeper or was out. His eyes scanned the room as Cassie headed over to the bedside table where her epi-pen was lying. Harley let go of Cassie and stood by the door. He noticed that the room was a lot smaller than his own and had one bed. At least he didn't have to worry that her roommate would catch him in their room.

Cassie sat down on the bed, pulled the lid off the epi-pen and stabbed herself in the top of her thigh. Harley watched her chest rise and fall drastically as she sucked in a deep breath. Harley eyes scanned over Cassie's facial features, waiting for a signal that she was okay and that he could leave. The sooner he got back to his room, the better. Although, he knew that he'd be able to catch up on his sleep as it was Saturday – no classes. Just the usual therapy sessions they had to attend.

"Are you okay?" He asked tenderly.

"Yeah," she smiled looking at him. "Thank you for that,"

"You sure you're okay?" his hand slipping into his pocket. He felt relief as soon as his large hands clasped around the cold metal of the pendent.

"Yeah, I must have touched some nuts outside... or a bee or something... I have a few allergies..."

Harley nodded. "I'm going to go now, I hope you feel better."

"Thank you, Harley. You really didn't need to do that..." Cassie said kicking off her black ankle boots.

"Sleep well Cass,"

Harley didn't wait for a reply from Cassie as he slipped out her room and looked down the corridor to ensure that no one was around. On Harley's walk back to his room he couldn't help but think about Cassie. He wondered why she had a singular room. Harley didn't even know that there were single rooms outside of the isolation areas which were used to calm down students.

Maybe it's because of her allergies, he thought as he pulled out his card and slinked into the boy's corridor.

Inside the safety of his room he kicked off his shoes, stripped off and slipped into bed. He knew it was late when he looked over to find Jared lying on his back, fast asleep and soft snores escaping his lips.

Harley needed sleep. Non-tormented sleep. He closed his eyes and thought about stuff that made him happy, that helped him relax. No nightmares. Please... Cars, books, cigarettes, writing, home...