Chapter 38 - "I don't want to talk."

Start from the beginning

Finally, she crossed the road, heading into his neighborhood. The closer she got to his house, the more her heart pounded, until it was all she could hear. The quaint home came into view and Haley felt as if her body was seizing up. Woodenly, she parked by the front gate, but didn't move, couldn't.

Lights were already beaming out of the windows. She saw the silhouette of a figure cross behind the curtains. Swallowing the panic that was clawing at her throat, she climbed out and walked to the gate. It whined as she opened it. On the front porch, she raised her hand to knock but halted. A thousand terrible and crushing endings bombarded her making her immobile. Before she could flee, the front door was opened.

Isaac's mother smiled at Haley. Blinking herself out of her petrified state, Haley lowered her hand.

"Haley, I thought I saw someone drive up," Isaac's mother said.

Haley nodded, words failing her. Isaac's mother reminded framed by the doorway, showing no sign of welcoming Haley in. Fear rose in Haley, wondering if it was cause she knew what had happened the previous night and was protecting Isaac from Haley. As Haley went to blurt out her explanation, Isaac's mother spoke.

"If you came to see Isaac, I'm sorry," she said. "He's not here. He took Cal for a run just a few minutes ago."

"Oh." Haley felt the turmoil of emotions that she had been battered around by, stumbling and dissipating.

"I would offer to let you wait for him," Isaac's mother said, "but sometimes he's gone awhile depending on where he goes."

Shaking her head like it wasn't a big deal, Haley took a step back.

"Never mind."

"Do you want me to let him know you were here?" his mother asked.

"No, it's fine. Thank you."

With Isaac's mother still looking after her, Haley hurried to her car and drove off. Unable to make sense of the conflicting emotions of relief, loss, disappointment, and sadness, Haley flicked on her music hoping it could numb her out.

By the time she reached her house, her emotions were in tatters. The evening was giving way to night and windows glowed with yellow light and flashes of blue from tv screens. Passing Jace's house, Haley found herself looking at it and noticing that his bike wasn't at its normal spot on the curb. She tried to convince herself that again the loss of Jace was for the better.

It didn't work.

As she pulled the car into the driveway, she repeated that not seeing Isaac was for her own good. She could just leave it all behind and never think about it again. With each repetition, she believed it less and less.

Giving up the lost cause, she got out of the car feeling drained. She was at the front door when the sight of the light on in the living room made her pause. Puzzled, she peered in through the open window. What she saw made her blood turn to ice.

Hunched on the couch was her father, a suitcase at his feet. Her mother sat beside him, her face weary. As Haley inched closer, she heard her father speak. The resigned tone tore at her heart.

"I can't do this anymore, Tess."

**********************************************************************

Hold up! Hold up! Single File People!
*continues to hand out ice cream and tissues*

As you head to the armchairs that feel like a hug please leave behind your weapons and any emotions, thoughts, or exclamations you might have. Thank you. 👉🕳👈

Okay, well at least we all saw this coming. Not like it doesn't suck any less added with the fact that everything with Isaac is down the drain and...and Jace isn't talking to Haley either. *sniffs* I mean...it's just how life goes...*swallows hard* sometimes and we just have to be strong.

Oh who am I kidding! This is the worst!!! *falls on the floor crying* Poor Haley Day! Jace where are you! We need you!

*breathes deeply* Go to your happy place Joy, go to your happy place.

Random question that has no connection to what I just said, what is your happy place?

Mine is the beach, quiet and during a sunset. Cause you know I can't get anymore hopeless romantic than that.

Before you go, how pissed are you at me right now from a I'm-mildly-annoyed to I-would-rather-read-any-other-book-than-this-one-at-the-moment?

If you can have any pieces of your heart left then so ahead and vote, comment, follow.

Okay this has to make you smile!