Chapter 13 - "Thanks for being my alarm."

Haley rolled over and shut off her alarm. Rubbing her eyes tiredly, she sat and slumped over her legs. Sleep still clung to the edge of her sight and she remained there, staring at nothing. Eventually, she shoved the blankets away and climbed out of her bed. Half-heartedly she made her bed.

As she passed her balcony on route to her closet, she paused. Jace's doors were open collecting the cool morning air, but he was still asleep. He lay on his stomach, his face smashed into his pillows, mouth open.

In sleep he didn't seem like the flirty player, instead, he looked like a normal teenager who was drooling on his pillow. With a sleepy smile, Haley snatched the hacky sack from the desk. She walked onto her balcony, the chill morning air sending goose bumps down her bare arms. From where she stood she could hear the discordant symphony of car doors slamming and the start of engines. White puffy clouds meandered across the sky as if they were early sunbathers ready to take in the heat.

Haley bit her lip as she pulled her arm back and aimed. The hacky sack sailed through the air and hit Jace's bare shoulder. He frowned in his sleep. When Haley thought she would have to go looking for another projectile, he stirred and opened his eyes. Wiping at his mouth, Jace rubbed his eyes and stretched.

"Hey."

Haley head cocked in question.

"Thanks for being my alarm."

The hacky sack arced towards her. Jace's aim was so perfect all she had to do was open her hands and it fell right into them. She shrugged.

"I figured without a phone you didn't have one."

Haley was turning away when Jace called out again.

"Thanks."

She smiled and headed inside. The expression lasted through getting ready but didn't make it past that. She was walking into the kitchen when the look slowly diminished. Her parents were on opposite sides, facing away but still talking.

"No, I told you what it's like right now," her father said his voice tense.

The emotions were echoed in his stiff posture and the grip he had on his coffee cup.

"I know that, I haven't forgotten but we need to find time to discuss this," her mother said.

She was searching for something but Haley had the feeling it was only so she could avoid facing her husband. Her father turned around.

"Tess, I-" he stopped talking when he noticed Haley in the doorway. "Morning, kiddo."

The tone was a forced cheerfulness and Haley felt something crawling inside her chest and squeezing her heart. Her mother spun around, a smile appear where nothing but frustration and weariness had been before.

"Hi, sweetheart," she said.

There was tension that passed between her parents without a word or glance being given. From behind Haley, Matt appeared. He quickly surveyed the scene. It was as if his presence snapped the electoral charge that was filling the air. Both parents twisted away, busying themselves with coffee and phones. Inside Haley, she felt as if a dam of emotions was cracking but she took in a breath, plugging holes and patching the breaks as best she could.

"You need breakfast?" Matt asked her.

"No." The thought of food made her stomach roil. The thought of trying to move around the unspoken words in the kitchen was unbearable.

Without saying anything to her parents, she spun away and headed for the front door. Matt waited a beat to glance at his parents before following her out. Haley jumped into the truck and pulled the door closed. Matt climbed in and they left the driveway, the house falling away in the review mirror.