Chapter 14 - "You two are great together."

"Ouch!"

Haley dropped the hammer and stuck her thumb into her mouth, trying to dull the throbbing pain in it. Muttering, she examined the digit, finding it red and still holding a pulse. Frowning, she picked up the discarded tool and went searching for the lost nail. Music was playing, the dancing beat seeming to be able to lighten everyone's mood. Everyone's mood except for Haley's.

Upon leaving the counselor's office, she was annoyed to find that she hadn't left behind the counselor's words. They trailed after her, as she finished up the rest of her classes and the final bell, had rung. Now sitting surrounded by her fellow peers, the counselor's words had grown stronger.

She didn't feel like Faith had meant to help Haley. Haley didn't want her help or need it. She was fine on her own. Why couldn't Faith see that? She might have put her on this project for what she hoped Haley would get out of it, but that was the problem; all she wanted from it was to get out of it.

Straightening the nail on the board, Haley raised the hammer. She gave it a tentative hit. It sunk into the wood. Satisfied it would remain upright all on its own now, she hammered it again. With each swing, she fought the persistent words. This whole project was a hindrance to Haley. It seemed she was the only one who could see that. A shadow crossed over her work but she didn't look up or stop what she was doing.

"Sorry, I'm late," Isaac said, sinking to the grass beside her.

She whacked away at the nail again, not looking at him.

"It's fine."

Isaac looked at her as if waiting for her to focus on him. She didn't. She pointedly didn't, not knowing how his stupid, happy grin would affect her and hating that there was a chance it would.

"You sure?" he asked, his tone cautious as if realizing then that she was wielding a dangerous tool.

Banging the hammer against the already nailed in nail, she nodded.

"Yup. Just. Fine." Each word was punched with another hit of the tool.

Shifting back, Isaac studied her, looking at a loss of what to do or say. When Haley moved to examine the next step, Isaac relaxed. His eyes darted to the smashed nail that was so heavily hammered into the board that the transition from wood to nail was seamless. He opened his mouth to make a comment but Haley's back was still to him.

She was half reading the instructions and half wondering why Isaac wasn't doing anything. Did he understand that this was both their projects? Why even show up if he wasn't going to help? Now he was just distracting her by being there.

"Are you going to help?" she asked, twisting around to look at him.

The movement startled him and all he could do was stare blankly back at her. Huffing in annoyance, Haley stood, tossing down the flimsy manual.

"We're missing a piece," she said. "I'm going to go get it."

Isaac watched her leave, drowning in confusion. Haley didn't look back to see the expression. If she had it might have stolen away some of the frustration she was trying to hold on to. His face was comically baffled. Instead, she held her irritation wrapped around her like an impenetrable shield. When she passed Jace, who was doing an impressive impression of an air guitar, she didn't look at him.

In the equipment room, Haley found she wasn't the only looking for materials. Ty and Josie were looking through pieces; though Haley wondered if they would notice which piece they would need when they were talking so much.

"You saw Reeve's tour setlist, right?" Josie was saying, as she dug through booth sections.

"Yes," Ty said, "I told you. There was nothing from her second album on it. It wasn't her sound, so it means that the label actually forced her into it."