Chapter 37 - "Is this where I get a free kiss?"

Start from the beginning

"What are you looking for?" Jace asked.

Haley started at his voice, almost forgetting he was beside her.

"Uh...nothing."

Jace raised one doubting eyebrow. In response, Haley blushed, embarrassed.

"Isaac...said he might stop by."

"It's good to know my scheme paid off," Jace said, crossing his arms and leaning against the post.

"You're scheme?"

"Yeah, last night."

Haley frowned in confusion. "What about last night?"

"The game..."

Again Haley could only stare at him, not understanding where he was going.

"Seriously, Haley Day? You didn't actually think it was chance that got you and Isaac matched for Seven Minutes in Heaven, did you?"

Haley turned bright pink, cause that was exactly what she had thought. At her obvious surprise, Jace laughed. It wasn't mocking, simply amused.

"Haley Day, I rigged the game. I figured it would take both of you ages to do anything and well...I know the power of an enclosed space and limited time."

Mortified, Haley buried her face in her hands. "You can't be serious?"

"Are you mad?"

Rising her head, she scowled and punched his arm.

"Of course, who made you Cupid?"

Jace raised his hands in surrender and to ward off her abuse.

"You could have said no, and you didn't have to do anything while you were in there. I nudged you, but you were the one who took the leap."

Flashes of the previous night darted through Haley's mind: asking Isaac if he wanted to kiss her, the feel of his hands on her skin, the taste of his lips, his breath as it caressed her cheek. In an instant, all her irritation with Jace vanished. She wouldn't take back that night for anything and he had been the one to help it along. Folding her hands behind her, she settled back on the side of the booth.

"Sorry."

"For what? Punching me or getting mad at my help?"

"All of it. I'm not really good at this sort of thing."

Smiling, Jace gave her nose an affectionate tap. "Don't worry, Haley Day, you can always learn."

She returned his look.

"How did it go in there?" Jace asked.

The memories made Haley blush and bite her lip again. Jace raised an eyebrow.

"That good, huh? Get it, Haley Day." The color deepened on Haley's cheeks. Jace cocked his head. "That wasn't your first kiss, was it?"

"No, but it was the only good one I've had."

Jace chuckled. "All the rest were bad kissers?"

Haley opened her mouth but closed it, a thought striking her. Her forehead scrunched together in puzzlement and concern. The other times she had kissed someone it had been awkward, but was that because of them or her? A trickle of worry nagged at her.

"What are you thinking?" Jace asked, nudging her shoe with his.

Before Haley could rethink her decisions, she blurted out the thought that was banging around her mind.