22 | faith, trust, and pixie dust

"Stefan's off his rocker," Damon announced through the phone and Evelyn closed her locker.

"What?"

"He's high on human blood."

"He told me he was fine."

"He lied," he replied. "Someone stole blood bags from the hospital and compelled the person on staff to forget about it."

Evelyn frowned, "Maybe another vampire is in town."

"He's not okay, Evelyn," he explained. "Don't listen to him."

"Damon-"

"You have to trust me on this one."

"Fine," she huffed before hanging up and letting out a sigh.

Evelyn turned to leave but someone blocked her path. She looked up to see Tyler looking down at her. She scoffed and pushed past him but he followed after her.

"Please talk to me," he requested. "Let me explain."

"Explain what? That you're a manwhore?" she inquired. "No need, I already know."

"Evely-"

Evelyn turned to stop him in his tracks, "Not today, I can't take anything else so please, just not today."

He stared at her for a moment but nodded. She turned to leave, tears welling in her eyes. As she made her way to the bathroom, she wasn't sure she would make it before she cried when someone pulled her into a classroom.

She reached into her pocket instinctively before she realized that it was Alaric. And that she was safe.

"I can't do this," she told him, dropping her bag on the ground. "I don't-How am I supposed to see him everyday?"

"You just have to get through it," he told her. "Get to a point where you can forgive him."

"Forgive him?" she scoffed. "I'm supposed to forgive him?"

"Not for him, for yourself."

"What?"

"Forgiving someone for something they did to you will help you more than you know. It'll be like a weight lifted off of your shoulders," he explained. "I'm not saying you have to forget, but forgive, when you're ready."

"Is that what you did with Damon?"

"Yes," he answered honestly.

"Thank you," she said quietly, wiping away her tears.

"Anytime," he said, nodding before she left.

"Hey," Stefan said, stopping her in the hall.

"What do you want, Stefan?" Evelyn asked, turning to face him.

"Elena told me what happened."

"She did?" she asked, slightly annoyed that she was telling him her personal business. Not that that was anything new.

"I asked her why you looked upset yesterday and she told me," he explained. "He shouldn't have done that, he's a dick."

"I'm aware. I have to get to class," she told him before trying to leave but he stopped her. She took a deep breath and turned to him calmly, "What?"

"Are you okay?"

"I would be a lot better if people would stop asking me that," she informed him. "Now please, leave me alone."

Blocking him out, she made her way back to Alaric's classroom. After school ended she threw all her stuff into her locker and got to her car.

She got in and started the engine as her phone rang. "Hey," she greeted, answering the phone.