Chapter 21 - Luke

Start from the beginning

She rolls her eyes, "You're lucky that you already parked the car before doing that."

According to Cupcake, I proceeded to bounce out of my seat and to the door of the Diner. I, of course, deny any accusation. I didn't bounce. How would I have bounced anyway? That sounds way too complicated for me to do. Climbing is a yes, bouncing is a no for my range of abilities. Lost once more in my head, I don't notice Sang making it inside before me again. She never waits for anyone!

I run after her, "Cupcake!"

She stops and turns before blushing, "Sorry for taking off again. Habit."

I shrug, "Doesn't matter to me, I just didn't want to be left behind."

I walk in front of her in order to open all the doors for the beautiful milady. I can practically feel Sang rolling her eyes behind me, but she follows me nonetheless with a polite, "Thank you." And not for the first time, I'm cursing the way she came to us as Owen's girlfriend. I'm honest enough to know what I feel for Sang. All anyone else needs to know is that I feel like she is my sister and that's the way it is going to have to be. I'm lucky enough to have someone as bright as Sang in my life in any capacity.

We enter the Diner and Uncle calls out from the kitchen, "Luke?"

I yell back, "Yeah and Sang, we're here to help since the others took off for work."

Uncle walks out of the kitchen and gives us both hugs. I can see Sang's barely concealed flinch and Uncle does too. It hasn't been that long after all since the last Diner incident because of the Toma Team. And Uncle was once Academy. It was his job to notice details like this. Some habits never wear off if Uncle is any example.

He smiles, "Good to see you both. The dinner rush will be here any moment. Sang will be helping at the register and Luke as a server if that's okay?"

I look over at Cupcake who nods, "That's fine."

Uncle claps me on the back, "Then, let's get to it. And Luke?"

"Yes?"

His eyes narrow on me, "We never finished that conversation two weeks ago."

I gulp, "Oops?"

Sang giggles a little as Uncle heads back into the kitchen, "You paled so much when Uncle looked at you."

I attempt to defend myself, "He's scary when he wants to be!"

She gives me a unimpressed look over, "So can I."

I nod anxiously, "I have no doubt about that and certainly no need for you to show me. Unless you want to be ninjas together."

Cupcake smiles, "I think North might explode this time."

I whined a little, "But it was fun."

She shrugged, "I dont get it either. It was just some fun that happened to be 60 stories in the air."

We separate when the first customer comes in. And after that, it seemed like all of Charleston came. It's one of the worst dinner rushes that I've ever had to deal with. I guess people are here for summer vacation or on vacation. I don't really know. We were all really busy and had no time to talk. Sang fell into the job as if she was a natural. Last time we came here, Cupcake had spent most of her time with North in the kitchen or as a simple server. She was a natural people person despite her past. 

Several hours later and the dinner rush finally finished. I don't mind hard work as much as the other person, but I was tired, exhausted. AND I couldn't have any sugar! It's unfair, a conspiracy against me and all my brothers are involved. Sang watches me here with Uncle. At home, it's everyone else! I'm done for! I knew it was a bad idea to eat the entire bag of treats and then climb a building! It seemed like a good idea at the time.

A couple of other people float in, but the hard part is over. Soon enough, Uncle locks the front door of the Diner, "Luke, Sang, do you want to stay here for dinner? There's extra food."

I nod, answering for both of us, "We're staying at Owen's and everyone will be out late for work."

Sang agrees, "I'm starved!"

All of us settle down to eat in the back room in order to turn off most of the lights. It gives the entire place an eery feel, but we all ignore it. I know that Sang isn't bothered and used to this. When we were both dared to go down into the sewer, I hate to say that I screamed like a little girl while Sang was completely cool.

Conversation flows smoothly between the three of us. Using all the training that the Academy gave me, I avoid the conversation that Uncle wants to have with me. I'm sure he will figure it out and I thought that North had told him some of it. I just don't want to spill something I wasn't supposed to and for Sang to suffer for it.

We hear a knock and the doorbell for the back door rang. We all tensed up. Uncle and I because we knew that no one used the doorbell or knocked for the back door since the people who came through there were Academy. Sang because it's what her training demands of her. Uncle stands up and leaves our sight to go check on it. He comes back quickly with a white mask in his hands. 

Uncle laughs, "It's just some pranksters who left a white mask to try and scare us."

I relax as I had been worried that it was someone from Sang's past life who tried to track her down or even the Academy. Both cases would have been bad. I laugh with Uncle, "I had better ideas for pranks than that when I was a kid. I can't believe we freaked out about just that. What do you think Sang?" I turn to look at Sang who is staring at the white mask and is pale as a sheet. "Sang?"

Sang grabs the mask from Uncle and under her breath mutters in a terrified tone, "Volto."

I started getting even more worried. This isn't usual Cupcake behavior! "What's wrong?"

She clearly put on a mask, pushing back her own emotions as Sang usually does when something went terribly wrong, "Get Owen and the guys here now."

With her tone, I don't question the order and do as demanded. I just hope that Cupcake will be alright.

***

Word Count: 1690

Sorry about this being a short chapter! I'm in a bit of a funk and had to force myself to write this chapter. It's what usually happens after I do a story plan for anything I write. I lose inspiration because I know how the story ends.

Any thoughts?