For Good

Chapter 27 – For Good

In which there’s something we must learn…

Chris awoke the next morning to find a familiar pair of hazel eyes gazing worriedly down at him.  His heart gave a momentary flutter before he realized that they weren’t the eyes he’d been hoping to see.

“Oh, I’m glad you’re finally awake,” Blaine said.  “You were unconscious for the whole journey to Snow White’s palace.  Her royal physician said you were suffering from hypothermia, but that you’d be fine once your body temperature returned to normal.”

“Where’s Darren?” Chris asked.  “Is he okay?”

“He’s recuperating in another wing of the palace.  He got a little bump on the head, but apparently it wasn’t too serious.  The royal physician said he must have quite a thick skull.”

Chris chuckled at that, feeling weak with relief at knowing that Darren was alright.

“He’s been asking about you,” Blaine continued.  “He wanted to come and see you, but the royal physician insisted that he stay in bed, just to be safe.”

Chris sighed.  Now that he knew that Darren was okay, he realized that he actually was not looking forward to their next encounter.  They’d had no chance to talk since the Evil Queen’s revelations, and Chris dreaded seeing the pity he was sure would be in Darren’s eyes.      

Noticing Chris’s expression, Blaine asked, “What’s wrong?”

Chris felt odd about opening up to a virtual stranger, but from what he knew of Blaine, Chris thought he’d be a pretty good listener.  

“Did Kurt tell you about the Mirror of True Love?” Chris asked.

Blaine’s face lit up with a huge smile.  “Yes.  He said it showed that we’re meant to be together.  Which, of course, I already knew.  But it’s nice to have it confirmed.”

“Did he tell you what it revealed about me?”

“No.”

“Well, basically, Darren’s my true love, but I’m not his.  Which I sort of already knew, but that is not the kind of thing you want to have confirmed.  Especially not in front of the object of your hopeless affection.”

Blaine’s eyes filled with compassion.  “Oh, Chris, I’m so sorry.”

“Yeah, well, it sucks to be me.  And the worst part is, the Evil Queen said that now that Darren knows how I feel, he won’t even want to be my friend anymore.  Which I really hope isn’t true, but I’m afraid that it might be.”

“You should go and talk to him.”

“Oh god, it’s going to be so awkward!  I just can’t right now.”