The Land of Stories?

Chapter 2 – The Land of Stories?

Chapter Notes:  In which Chris and Darren try to figure out where they are…

“Oh my god!” Chris gasped.  “What did Ryan do to my laptop?” 

Darren’s gaze traveled from his friend’s horrified face to the poster tacked to the tree in front of them:

WANTED

DEAD OR ALIVE

KURT HUMMELOCKS

FOR BURGLARY, THEIVERY, AND

RUNNING FROM THE LAW

“Were you and Ryan working on a Land of Stories/Glee crossover episode together?”

“Not to my knowledge, and certainly not with my consent,” Chris huffed.

“So what’s with the poster?”

“That’s what I’d like to know.  Last night, Ryan sent me an email with a huge attachment.  Brian tapped the keyboard and it started to download.”

“Good old Brian,” Darren chuckled.

Chris rolled his eyes.  “Yes, well, I couldn’t stop it, and my computer wouldn’t shut down, and then it started glowing and humming, and then someone showed up at my house and decided it would be a good idea to stick his hand into the possessed laptop, get sucked into another dimension, and drag me along for the ride.”

“Oops.”

“Oops?  It that all you’ve got, Dare?  Oops?!” Chris ranted.  “Do you have any idea what you’ve done?”

“Chris, please, I know you’re upset, but don’t take it out on me.  It was an accident.  How was I supposed to know that your laptop had suddenly become a portal to another world?”

Chris took a steadying breath.  “You’re right.  I’m sorry.  It’s not your fault.”

Darren grinned at him.  “And hey, wasn’t I just saying that we should take a little vacation together?  And haven’t you always called this your ‘happy place,’ where you can escape from the stresses of the real world?”

The Land of Stories may be my happy place, but I don’t think that’s where we are.  At least, not entirely.  There’s no ‘Kurt Hummelocks’ in my book.  Who knows what else is different here?”

“So wait – are you upset because I accidentally transported us to The Land of Stories?  Or are you upset because it’s not The Land of Stories?”

Chris looked down, embarrassed.  “The second one, actually.  All my life, I’ve dreamed about coming to The Land of Stories.  This book is like my first-born child.  And now I feel like it’s been kidnapped by Ryan Murphy and used in some bizarre experiment in genetic engineering.  I mean - don’t get me wrong - I love Kurt, too.  I just don’t think I want to see him turned into some weird, mutant Goldilocks-hybrid.”