The Tallest - No, Make That the Cleanest - Tower

Chapter 5 – The Tallest – No, Make That the Cleanest – Tower

Chapter Notes:  In which Darren is naughty…

The long summer evening was well underway by the time Chris and Darren emerged from the Dwarf Forests and spotted a tall tower in the distance.  “Rapunzel’s tower!” Darren cried.

“Or whoever Rapunzel has become in this weird, Glee-infested version of my book,” Chris muttered.

“Oh, come on,” Darren said.  “You cannot tell me that you weren’t impressed by Kurt Hummelocks.  Did you get a look at the way he moved?  That has got to be the hottest thing I’ve ever seen.”

Chris could feel a blush creeping up his cheeks.  “I don’t feel qualified to judge the hotness of Kurt Hummelocks…  But I will freely admit that his sai sword skills are a million times better than mine.”

Darren grinned at him.  “Did you notice that he said we both looked familiar?  Blaine must be here, too.”

“If he is, I can’t imagine that he’d recognize you.”

“Yeah, I guess I am a lot older than Blaine.”

“Yes, yes, Darren, you’re so much older, and wiser, and more mature.”

Darren stuck his tongue out.

“And so much scruffier and more homeless-looking, too.”

“Hey!  You love my scruff,” Darren pouted, grabbing Chris and rubbing his stubbly cheek against the younger man’s neck.

“Ow!  Get off of me, you animal!” Chris laughed.  “You’re scratching up my delicate skin.”

Darren pulled back and looked at the faint redness on Chris’s neck.  “Ooh, we can’t have that.  Want me to kiss it and make it better?”

“No, you goofball,” Chris said, giving Darren’s shoulder a playful shove.  “Come on, let’s go check out that tower.”

By the time they reached the tower, the sun was low on the horizon, casting shadows that seemed to stretch on forever.  Darren gazed up at the impressive structure.  “Is this the part where I scale the tower?”

“No, Dare.  This is the part where we walk around to the other side, find the door, and climb up the stairs that Rapunzel had installed after she became queen.”

Darren looked disappointed, but followed Chris around the base of the tower.  Sure enough, there was a doorway on the far side.  Above the door hung a large, golden plaque:

WELCOME TO QUEEN EMMAPUNZEL’S TOWER