005: Capture the Flag

005: Capture the Flag[CONNOR]

[CONNOR]

IT WASN'T UNTIL Friday that the two crossed paths again. She had finally decided to sit at the Hermes table at dinner. She sat next to the new kid, Percy and she seemed to be detailing how capture the flag worked for him.

Their plates were cleared away and the conch horn sounded. The games were about to begin.

Campers cheered as Annbeth and her siblings emerged from one side of the pavilion, carrying their team's flag. The flag was gray and was ten feet long, with a barn owl emblazoned on the middle. Clarisse and her siblings entered from the opposite side, carrying a deep red flag emblazoned with a boar's head and bloody spear.

Percy leaned toward June, shouting over the cheers. "Those are the flags?"

"Yeah," June replied, popping a piece of gum into her mouth. She offered Percy one and he gladly took it.

"Ares and Athena always lead the teams?"

"Not always," she corrected. "But usually."

"So, if another cabin captures one, what do you do- repaint the flag?"

She grinned. "You'll have to wait and see. You'll have to get one first."

"Whose side are we on?" he asked Luke, who was torn from his thoughts.

"We've made a temporary alliance with Athena. Tonight, we get the flag from Ares. And you are going to help." Luke supplied.

The teams were announced. Athena had made an alliance with Apollo, Zeus, and Hermes. Ares had gotten pretty much everyone else. To an onlooker it would've seemed unfair but the sides were relatively even. Hermes and Apollo were the biggest cabins after all.

Chiron hammered his hoof on the marble, signaling for their attention.

"Heroes!" he announced. "You know the rules. The creek is the boundary line. The entire forest is fair game. All magic items are allowed. The banner must be prominently displayed, and have no more than two guards. Prisoners may be disarmed, but may not be bound or gagged. No killing or maiming is allowed. I will serve as referee and battlefield medic. Arm yourselves!"

He spread his hands and the tables were covered in equipment. Connor and Travis slipped through the crowd and managed to snag their armor and weapons faster than everyone else.

June stood under a tree, helmet held under her arm. Lacy stepped behind her and tightened the straps of her armor. June nearly reached for her sword, though she stopped when Lacy spoke.