Playing Pretend

Playing pretend.
That's all it is.

It's all a phoney act for the camera, surely those rich Capitol folks will sponsor them now. A necessity to survive. Nothing to do with how either of them feel about each other.

But as I tell myself this, a thought nags at the back of my head. They're in a cave. How do they know that they are being filmed? I mean, they are, obviously, the cave was rigged up by Gamemakers, but they have no way of knowing they are on live TV. As far as they know, they are in a quiet, private, dare-I-say romantic space without the fear of prying cameras.

Or is that what they want us to think? And they do know, but let on that they don't, so we don't know that they do know?

My head hurts.

Is it possible that Katniss does like Peeta in that way? She's never mentioned him to me, I was never aware they knew each other from before. Maybe this isn't the kind of thing you tell a boy, even if he's your best friend.

Madge. She would know. She and Katniss are close (not as close as me and her, but friends) and in the same grade at school. I bet if Katniss had a crush, she'd tell Madge right away. Well, at least, any other girl in the district would. Katniss is a little different from the giggling, gossiping girls in school, but it's worth a shot. I pull on my jacket, but stop.

It's going to be really awkward talking to Madge after yesterday...

Oh, get a grip, Gale, if Katniss can fight for survival in a forest far from home, I can talk to a girl in town. Easy, right?

Mayor Undersee answers the door when I arrive at their house.

"Hello, Gale," he says heartily. "Brought some berries, have you?"

"No sir, not today. I'm here to see Madge."

Mayor Undersee looks surprised for a moment, but quickly regains his authoritarian tone.

"I-I, I see," he says. "Well, she's in her bedroom, second floor and on the left."

I nod back and step inside on the fancy carpet and take in the wide curving staircase and tall arches. I've never been inside the mayor's house before, and it irritates me a little how extravagantly some people live.

I find her room, a white door with beautiful music coming from behind it. I'm about to walk in, when I remember etiquette and knock politely.

"Come in!" a melodic voice replies.

Madge is seated on her bed, violin resting against her chin, a variety of papers with sheet music scattered around her. When she sees me she blushes deep red, and hurries to clear a spot amidst the papers on the bed. I sit, awkwardly fidgeting. I break the silence.

"I didn't know you played music?"

She blushes deeper, and looks down.
"Yeah, I do."

More tension fills the air, this time Madge speaks.

"So, um... what are you doing here?"

"Well," I begin, "I have a few questions about Katniss that I thought you could answer."

Her face falls. I'm sure she thought I was here to discuss yesterday's conversation. She notices me looking, flushes, and masks it.

"Sure, like what?"

"Like... did she ever say anything about... Peeta Mellark?"

Her lips curl into a smile, and she looks up at me.

"You like her, don't you?"

I'm taken aback. Was I that obvious?

"I beg your pardon?"

"Katniss. You love her."

"I... why do you think that?"

She smiles, "Isn't it obvious? You saw what her and Peeta did, wanted to know whether it was real, knew we were friends, so you came to ask me. Right?"

I'm startled. How did she conclude all that from my single question? She's smarter than I thought. But I won't let her win that easy.

"Well... answer my question, Madge! Does she or does she not have a crush on Peeta?"

"Do you or do you not have a crush on Katniss?"

Man, that girl is relentless!

"No! Well, yes, maybe... but what's it to you anyways?"

"Nothing, nothing," Madge holds up her hands, "I just wanted to know, it would explain a lot about yesterday."

Now I redden. "Yeah, sorry about that, just walking away and stuff..."

"It's fine, Gale. And she never mentioned Peeta to me once, ever."

I can't help it. "Did she, did she..."

Madge laughs. "No, Gale, she didn't mention you like that either."

I force a laugh as well, but I can feel my insides crumbling.

"Look at me, talking about Katniss as if she's gone forever!" Madge says.

"Well, she kind of is..." I can't help pointing out.

"No Gale, she's coming back. I guarantee it. And when she does, I need you to grab her by the hands, pull her into the woods, and kiss her full on the mouth. You got that? It's an order."

I smile in spite of myself. I've spending my days coming to terms with the fact that Katniss is gone, meanwhile Madge has simply kept faith in the fact that one (or two in this case) tributes can survive. She really believes Katniss is just on a trip far away, and because of that, Madge doesn't wallow in despair every hour of the day. I have to try that too.

"Yes, ma'am," I grin.