Madge Undersee

It's been a week and a half since the Games began, but it feels like longer. The days move slower than molasses, and I stay glued to the screen in my house. I haven't left this place since day one, rarely eating, hardly sleeping. It's noon, and the kids have gone to school, but I don't leave my chair. My mother appears next to me with a bowl of soup and some bread. I wave it away.

"Please, Gale, you have to eat!" she begs me, "Your starving won't do us any good."

I ignore her and she eventually leaves, placing the bowl beside me.

Here's the basics on what's happened so far.

Katniss, weaponless and with meager supplies, ran far away from the ring. She almost got stabbed, but gained a knife. She slept in a tree, was chased by a forest fire, and dumped a tracker jacker nest on the Careers's heads. Peeta was with the Careers, obviously thinking he could gain their protection temporarily. He whispers Katniss's name in his sleep. Blech. Katniss made an alliance with the little girl named Rue from 11. She, sadly, was killed, which took a toll on Katniss. Now, Katniss is basically wandering the forest, trying to figure out what to do.

I put my chin in my hands, waiting to see what she'll decide to do next. But the cameras don't focus on her, as she's not doing too much. I sigh, and turn off the television. Then I do something I haven't done for days. I leave the house.

Just being in the cool air clears my head a little. I don't know where my feet are taking me, they walk on their own accord. I contemplate what's happened so far. Katniss has done better than I expected, but will this just worsen the pain when she's gone?

I look up to see that I am in the town square. About 30 people are watching the Games on the huge screens. I hurry away, not wanting to know. But as I leave the courtyard, I hear someone calling my name.

"Gale! Gale Hawthorne!"

It's Madge Undersee. Katniss's friend, and the mayor's daughter. What could she want? I turn around.

"Yeah?"

She hurries over breathlessly, golden hair blowing in the brisk wind, stopping a little closer to me than I'm comfortable with.

"Sorry," Madge blushes and backs away. "I want to talk to you. Do you, um, want to go for a walk?"

I'm speechless. What could Madge have to say to me that requires a walk? Unless... we're in a too-heavily monitored area. Maybe she has news for me, news from the Capitol about the Games, about Katniss. Things only a mayor (and his eavesdropping daughter) would know! Yes, that's it!

"Sure, Madge!" I say, a little too cheerily. She frowns, puzzled, but leads the way.

We walk around the richer areas of the town, which don't seem like the most secret areas to discuss government plans, but I go along anyway.

"So," I whisper, "what have you got to tell me?"

Madge startles, obviously confused by my whisper.

"Right, Gale. Let's get it over with. I have something to tell you."

I can hardly wait. "Yes..."

Madge takes a big breath.

"The thing is Gale, you've known me for a long time, and I've known you for longer. I've noticed you, Gale, in more ways than I can count."

I'm not sure where she's going with this, but I nod anyway.

"Gale, I can't stop thinking about you, even late at night when I lie awake. What happened to Katniss was unfair, unjust, and entirely not your fault."

I nod again.

"So I need to tell you how I feel, let you know that someone is there. If you ever need anything, I'm here for you."

She takes a big gulp of crisp air.

"Gale Hawthorne, I love you."

Uh-oh.