The Opening Ceremonies

I return home just in time to see the opening ceremonies on the grainy black and white television. My brothers, sister, and I collapse on the floor in front of the screen to watch the tributes in their chariots. The Careers are first, in stupid glittery gowns and suits. Rory laughs at how they wave so arrogantly to the cameras, but the crowd roars in appreciation. District 10, District 11, and finally the black horses pull out the carriage containing Katniss and Peeta.

I can hardly believe what I see. They are ON FIRE!!! Literally engulfed in flames! Rory and Vick scream, but I soon realize it must be some kind of special effect. I will never understand the fashion trends in the Capitol. Mind you, Katniss does look nice. In fact, you might even say beautiful. Her hair is pulled back in a fancy braid, her smiling face is enhanced with a slight amount of makeup. I almost laugh. Katniss? In makeup? She probably hates that. But as my eyes move down her body, my smile disappears. My best friend, Katniss Everdeen, is holding hands with Peeta Mellark.

It's just some kind of protocol, I tell myself, nothing more. But I know it's not. I rack my brains for moments when other tributes have done this but come up blank. It can't be... he's not...

Whatever, I think. It doesn't matter. Not when she's going to die anyway. But I can't help noticing the way Katniss is giggling and smiling, and for heaven's sakes blowing kisses at the crowd!!! Where is the Katniss Everdeen I know? What have they done to her?