The Interviews

That got a little out of hand.

Anyway, today is fishing day. I'm spending the majority of the day at the pond. I can't help remembering how just mere days ago Katniss was here too. I cast a line and wait. A trout inspects my bait, but swims away. It's a lazy day for me. I bet that's not the case is the Capitol. Interviews are tonight, so I bet the tributes are getting all fancied up. Getting their hair done, makeup retouched, new outfits, and so on.

Exhausting work, being beautiful.
I pity Katniss.

Why do they put so much effort into this anyway? Why spend millions of dollars to watch people die when us in the Seam are dying penniless? It's so stupid. That's why I like the forest. You can say and think stupid stuff and no one can hear. If Katniss did anything like that in the Capitol, I'm sure they could arrange a little "accident" for her. She has the spunk to do it though. I beg her not to stand out as the rebel she is.

I pack up my meager catches, and head home. The interviews are bound to start at any moment, and I'm kind of interested in seeing how they turn out, and who Katniss is up against. Not to mention finding out how she got an eleven in training?!

I'm proud of her, but what did she do? Fire an arrow into a blueberry pinned 100 feet away?

In the living room, my mom, Vick, Rory, and Posy sit in front of the television. Just as I come in, Caesar Flickerman appears onscreen, blue hair and all.

"Welcome to the 74th annual Hunger Games!" he proclaims, beaming. The crowd erupts into cheers. He cracks a few jokes, then proceeds to introduce the tributes. I fade in and out, not really paying much attention. There are some tributes who look like they could snap a tree trunk with their bare hands, but others who look so scared and weak  and utterly defenseless. The tiny girl from District 11 goes up, and the crowd coos pitifully. She is shy, but sincere. The boy from her district, Thresh is quiet too, but more confined and less social. Finally, finally, Katniss makes her way up to the stage. She's wearing this dress that looks like flames are flickering around her when she moves, but thankfully it's just fabric this time.

Caesar asks her about her favorite part of the Capitol is. Katniss is nervous, I can see her biting her lip like she always does when she's stressed.

"The lamb stew," she finally answers, and the crowd chuckles as if she was making a joke, but I know she's just anxious and it was the first thing to pop into her head. Caesar probably realizes this, and he focuses the attention on Katniss's dress instead. Soon, he has her twirling around in her dress giggling. Giggling. Of all the things I've seen Katniss do, giggling is not one of them.

Caesar asks how her training went, but Katniss says she can't say. I'm curious though, that would be the first thing I'd ask her if she came home.

Katniss and Caesar make small talk for a while longer. I savour every last word out of her mouth, knowing I might never hear it again.

Suddenly, the buzzer rings and it's time for Peeta to get interviewed. I'm kind of interested in what he has to say. He's great at this publicity stuff, laughing and joking with Caesar. I'm kind of enjoying the banter until Caesar asks if Peeta has a girlfriend. Oh brother...

"Well, there is this one girl. I've had a crush on her ever since I can remember. But I'm pretty sure she didn't know I was alive until the reaping."

The crowd sighs sympathetically. I shake my head.

"She have another fellow?" Caesar asks.

"I don't know, but a lot of boys like her." Peeta has full attention from the audience.

Caesar tried to cheer Peeta up, telling him to win, and then she can't help but love him.

"I don't think it will work. Winning won't help in my case..." Peeta trails off dramatically.

"Why ever not?" Caesar asks, his blue eyebrows knit in confusion.

No, Peeta! Not here, not now!

"Because..." Peeta blushes, "because she came here with me."