An Announcement

Great.
Just what I need right now, someone else's feelings. I've got enough on my plate with Katniss, Peeta, Prim, my family, and now Madge? But I know this was hard for Madge to say, and she probably thought it would make me feel better. I manage to thank her for telling me, and hurry home.

As soon as I walk in the door, I hear the trumpets. Claudius Templesmith's voice booms out of the TV.

"The Gamemakers hereby announce a change to the Panem Hunger Games regulations. It is now possible for both tributes from the same district to win the Games together."

My jaw drops.

The rules have changed? That never happens! But why? The Gamemakers have their reasons, I guess. What does this mean for Katniss? Will allying with Peeta help or hurt her?

Hurt her.

Peeta was stabbed in the leg by the Careers, I remember. He's useless as an ally, just another mouth to feed. Why bother caring for him?

I slap my mouth, as if to take back the words. Sure I'm not the biggest fan of Peeta, but wishing on his death? That's just cruel. I suppose all mothers have been in this situation as well. A child is just another mouth to feed. But they still deserve to live!

Even so, he's injured. The camera had the good grace of showing Panem a close up of his bloody thigh. Medicine to help him will cost more sponsors than we've got. He's sadly on the way out.

But I know Katniss. She hates to see people suffer. She's a horrible healer, because she can't bear to see people in pain. But I know what she's going to do, I know her too well. She won't be able to stand knowing he's dying, so she'll find him. Then, she'll realize that she can't help him, and will have wasted her time trying. Then Peeta will die, and she will be grief-stricken. These Games are so awful, attaching you physically and mentally!!!

I want to kick a hole in my television.