42

"What are you talking about?" He gulped, his eyes catching the box she's holding with trembling hands. He saw how her eyes teared up and the way she moved with slow steps towards him.

"Nadia, what are you doing?" He asked, panicking because it was only so far that he could move away from her.

"I'm sorry, Nathaniel," she said, this time her voice sounding more determined as she emptied the contents on the bed next to his leg.

He frantically looked around for the red panic button and almost leaped in happiness when he saw it next to his bed. But when he reached his hand out, he realised it was actually quite far from it. His fingertips barely reached it.

"It won't hurt, Nathan. I promise you," she said, stripping the plastic cover off the needles and shaking the small bottles she brought with.

She took the first syringe and pressed into the leak-protective layer of the first drug: Sodium thiopental, and filled it completely, moving fast to inject it into Nathan's arm. He tried his best to fight her off but she was stronger than him given his position.

He felt a pinch and immediately felt his body go limp. He couldn't speak or yell for help, couldn't push her away or even move a muscle. She stood back, watching and waiting for any reaction from him.

When she had sedated him, she moved on to the next drug; Pancuronium bromide. She has been told this one would paralyze his muscles and stop his breathing, something she absolutely didn't want to do but he didn't leave her with much of a choice either.

The third one, Potassium chloride had her in tears as she pulled it into the syringe. She unknowingly produced more than the lethal dosage and injected it on the same spot as the others two.

She finally broke down, her hands trembling as the syringe fell out of her hand and she clutched his head against her chest, bowling her eyes out as quietly as possible when she felt his heart beat go from erratic to one beat per minute until it stopped completely.

She soon realised that it wasn't easy to watch the love of your life die in your hands, more so because of your wrong doings. But she was done and tired of watching him refuse to get rid of Jane and the baby. If she wanted to get through this life victoriously, some people had to be left behind.

And that's when it hit her: she's a murderer and it won't be long before they come after her.

She took a deep breath, wiped her tears with her sleeve and gently laid him back down on the bed. She covered his legs as best she could and picked up everything of hers, including the syringe and drugs. After doing another round around his room, she came to stand beside his bed.

"I loved you. Never forget that."

***
"Jane, where have you been?" Kiano barked in rage as soon as he caught sight of her opening the door and stepping in. She slowly looked up and he saw the bandages on her arms and the dried blood on the side of her face. His anger and frustration immediately melted away and he ran to embrace her.

"What happened to you?" He asked with a shaky breath, taking a closer look at her. He held her face, gently moving it to the side to get a proper look at the wound. Her hair was dirty and her lip was busted, too. Even her clothes were soiled with what looked like engine oil.

He saw on the news that there had been a car accident. He immediately recognized that it was Stailene's car and thought his sister wrecked her car, but then she called her and told him everything. Still, that was last evening. Where had she been all night?

"I got into a little accident," she shrugged it off, looking past him and towards the baby tent she didn't remember purchasing in the living room. She smiled when she looked back to him, feeling her heart swell with happiness because of the man standing in front of her. "Is she fine?"

"Yeah, she's asleep. Where were you and what the hell were you thinking?"

"I wasn't," Jane muttered briefly, moving past him and towards the kitchen to make a hot cup of coffee. Or maybe a dozen. She wasn't sure yet. She felt like shit. She was sure she smelled like it too.

He stood aside and watched as she moved around. He knew she was in so much pain he couldn't even begin to imagine, but how could she be with him openly if she's putting herself in harm's way and acting nonchalant about it?

He had been up all night, calling all the hospitals in the area to see if she was checked in. The more he didn't hear from her, the more pissed he was with everything that happened.

What he was pissed off about the most was that they had a crying baby that needed her mom and he had no idea where she was. He didn't even want to think about what if he lost her. The thought alone made him sick to his stomach.

"We're not doing this any more," he said softly but he knew she had heard him because her movements stilled.

He watched as her fingers balled into fists. She hung her head and slowly shook her head. She always had the fear that at anytime he would leave her. She just didn't know that day was already so close. So right now.

"I know. I know I'm too much and-"

"No, not that. I mean that this, us, is not gonna happen if you won't communicate and be honest with me at all times. Putting yourself in danger should be the last thing you think of doing. There's a baby in the picture that we need to put before ourselves and I don't know what we'd do without you. Now I don't know where you had been all night, or even why you did what you did, but that is the last time you act in such a manner. Is that clear?" he asked sternly.

She sobbed, nodding her head as she kept her head down. He sighed in relief and held her comfortingly against his chest.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, tightening her hold around his waist and hid her face in his chest away from him. "I'm a horrible mother and an even horrible person to you."

"You're incredible, Jane," he whispered truthfully. "And don't worry about the accident or the car. We have it taken care of."

"We?"

"The Stamford duo," he simply said and she sighed in relief. She pressed her face against his chest and inhaled his scent and he smiled at the little habit she picked up.

"I hate them so much," she said after a while of holding each other and basking in the peace and silence.

He held her hands and leaned back, looking deep in her eyes. "Tell me you didn't kill anyone," he asked. He saw the confused look she gave him and figured he had to explain. "You took Stailene's gun, didn't you?"

"I couldn't shoot him," she said with a trembling lip.

He nodded and leaned down to place a kiss on her lips. However, she wrapped her arms around his neck and deepened it.

When they pulled back, he brushed away some hair from her face and noticed the grease on his fingers. "Go wash up while I get started on dinner. Would you like to spend the night?"

She looked up at him and felt a blush creep in. "Would you mind if we did?"

He grinned, his ears becoming red when he saw her bite her lip. "Never," he whispered, giving her another mind blowing kiss before smacking her ass and telling her to take her time in the bathroom.

*A/N I'll post the next chapter as soon as we hit 200 reads on this one! I'm super excited because it's something I believe most of us have been waiting for! (Ps: it has to do with Nadia's karma😂)