Original Not-As-Tragic-As-Originally-Planned Ending - Part 3

**Spoiler alert - time to wrap up this kinda-sorta-sad ending.  It has changed again.  Long chapter, but I didn't want to prolong the pain anymore.  >^.^< **

And with that, they had a little impromptu wake, with all those who were important to Shen Wei in attendance.

One year later...

Zhao Yunlan opened the door to the apartment and sighed as he had everyday for the past year. Yezun eventually moved into his own place, and Zhao Yunlan gave him Shen Wei's clothes, knowing that Yezun would take good care of them. They kept in touch for a while, then Yezun got busy with a play, and Zhao Yunlan with work.

He walked over to the bookcase that held knickknacks and pictures of their time together. There were two additions - an amber pendant on a black cord, and a pair of round-rimmed glasses. He traced the rims of the glasses and sighed again. The hole in his heart still remained, despite that saying that "time heals all." Some days it was not as painful, while on some it felt like it was burning in his chest.

He heard a little whirring and then saw the Roomba sweeping its way back to its charging unit. Zhao Yunlan smiled as he remembered their first real fight when Shen Wei had turned the living room upside down with his cleaning, and he had gotten mad and compared him to a Roomba. Shen Wei was right; the Roomba was an expensive toy that did not clean as well as he did...but got it on a whim when he was feeling particularly lonely one night.

The forensic department eventually brought in a new staff

The forensic department eventually brought in a new staff. He was older, and told many stories from past during the many years he worked. He had much experience, but he also often lost things and was constantly apologizing, so they had him handle more administrative matters which he was much better at. His nickname was Justiciar.

Zhao Yunlan still visited them when he had a case, and they all still argued and squabbled over his theories

Zhao Yunlan still visited them when he had a case, and they all still argued and squabbled over his theories. Zhu Hong often gave him longing looks but never tried to approach him again. She knew that Shen Wei would remain in his heart forever.

Sang Zan and Wang Zheng got married, and even Chu Shu Zhi and Guo Changcheng were often seen coming to work together. Da Qing eventually worked up the courage to ask out that pretty girl in Administration, but she was too aggressive and scared him off. So he went back to hanging out with Zhao Yunlan now and then, like a pet cat.