Chapter 25

Yesterday's fierce detective was back, only it was more than just about Zhu Jiu and an attempted murder case. This man was also protecting his loved one, his lover, and Yezun realized how deep the love between the two was. Again, he felt a pang of jealousy; he had no one in this world who loved him this much. The only one he had loved in this world after he lost his parents was Shen Wei. It was hard for him to admit, but despite being abandoned in the past, Shen Wei, his brother, was still the only one he had ever cared for. He knew Shen Wei loved Zhao Yunlan romantically, and it seemed Shen Wei was starting to love Yezun as a brother. Well, he would see which love would win – romantic or brotherly.

"Chief Zhao, I will prove to you that I will not hurt my brother. I just got him back, and I intend to keep him." And take him away from you. Yezun smiled as he kept this last comment to himself.

Zhao Yunlan's phone rang and he nodded in a slight apology to Yezun as he answered it. Yezun guessed it was Shen Wei on the other side when he saw Zhao Yunlan's warm smile. He continued to eat while keeping his ears trained on the conversation, but it was frustrating as he could only hear Zhao Yunlan's side.

"Did you find anything else?" "That's good to know." "Alright, we'll go with our original theory about him being mentally and emotionally unstable because of his recent divorce, plus he was high on cocaine, and close the case." "Yes, Yezun is safe; I said I wouldn't hurt him too much." Zhao Yunlan pulled the phone away from his ear and flinched. Yezun could hear Shen Wei loud voice speaking very fast. "I'm just joking, sort of. You can't blame me for getting a little upset, though, right?" "Yeah, yeah, I'll go in to the office from now. Then you two can do some brotherly bonding."

"Well, your Gege is definitely protective of you," Zhao Yunlan sighed a little as he put his phone away

"Well, your Gege is definitely protective of you," Zhao Yunlan sighed a little as he put his phone away. "He'll be home soon, and he says he wants to take you shopping for clothes, so wash up after you finish eating. I'm going to work to wrap up yesterday's case." He stood up, hesitated, then took a key out of his pocket. "This is the key to the apartment. You are welcome to stay for as long as it takes to get things straightened out. We will talk about house rules later."

A key. A key, not to lock him in, but to let him in. Although he was still very wary of this intimidating man in front of him, he could not deny the slight shift in his feelings. This man was his rival for Shen Wei's heart, and would do anything for Shen Wei, including allowing this straggly stranger into his home. But since this man chose to put some trust in him, he would also try.

"Thank you, Chief Zhao," he smiled gratefully.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Zhao Yunlan left after breakfast, and Yezun initially cringed as he heard the door close behind him, an automatic reaction to being locked in his room or cell, depending on whether or not he was testing a drug. But this door was to keep others out, to keep him safe while he was inside these homey surroundings. He willed himself to relax as he cleared the table and washed the dishes, and then he went to wash up. Shen Wei had already set out some clothes for him to wear; as Shen Wei had suspected, the jeans were a little loose for him, but otherwise, everything else fit.