Chapter 17

Shen Wei walked out of the Customs area at the HanedaInternationalAirport in Japan. There was a two-day conference of forensics departments from all over the world, and Shen Wei was one of the forensic scientists from China. New techniques would be discussed, and Shen Wei's A.I. would instantly gather the information and store it in the Lin Jing's database, which would later be transferred to the Ministry's database as his "report." Lin Jing had repeatedly reminded him to at least pretend to take notes. To be honest, he was quite excited to be exposed to anything new, however, being apart from Zhao Yunlan for that long was difficult for him, especially since their relationship was still new.

Soon he was checking in at the hotel, holding his breath as the front desk agent looked for his reservation. He remembered how a gleeful Lin Jing had managed to hack the hotel's reservation system and had first booked the Presidential Suite for him! Fortunately he was able to make Lin Jing reluctantly tone it down to a more modest room.

"Yes, Mr. Shen Wei. We have your reservation for a king room, and we apologize that we could not get one on a higher floor for you. So we have prepared a corner room for you on the 25th floor. We hope this will be acceptable," the front desk agent apologetically said.

Corner King room? 25th floor? That Lin Jing! This was going to cost him an arm and a leg! These thoughts ran through Shen Wei's mind, even though he kept a smile on his face.

"That really will not be necessary. I will gladly take a smaller room on a lower floor," Shen Wei replied as he took out his credit card.

"You are too kind, sir, but it would not be right for you to take too much of a downgrade from your original request," the front desk agent smiled as she handed Shen Wei the room card key in a cardboard sleeve. "Your room number is #2517. Please take those elevators to the 25th floor, and turn left. It will be at the end of the hall."

"I understand. Do you not need my credit card? Or do I pay in advance?" Shen Wei was puzzled at how trusting the hotel seemed to be.

"Sir, your room has already been taken care of. I will have someone take your suitcase up for you."

My room has been "taken care of?" I will kill that Lin Jing. Shen Wei smiled at his very human use of the word "kill."

"No, that will not be necessary," Shen Wei began to roll his suitcase away from the front desk.

"Thank you, sir. Please enjoy your stay," she finished with a low bow.

Shen Wei made his way to the elevator and pressed the button for the 25th floor. The lobby as well as this elevator were scented - lemon and rosemary? It was a slightly spicy...pleasant aroma. He smiled as he realized he was able to appreciate it.

His corner king room was large with a beautiful view of the city below. He quickly checked scanned the room - bathroom fully stocked with amenities, including tooth brushes and razors. In the closet were long button-down gowns to lounge or sleep in, and comfortable slippers to wear in the room. He would not have to unpack very many things from his suitcase aside from his clothes. Although the righteous side of him felt guilty about having such a grand room for free, a quickly developing mischievous part of him made a mental note to buy something nice for Lin Jing.

Then he saw the huge bed with fluffy pillows and bedding. Sigh. It was a shame that he would be sleeping in it alone. Zhao Yunlan liked starched cotton sheets and pillow cases...and he also liked starched cotton sheets and pillow cases with his Yunlan between the sheets. Whew, it was warm in here, Shen Wei thought, as he fanned himself and went to take a cold shower.

  Whew, it was warm in here, Shen Wei thought, as he fanned himself and went to take a cold shower