8 | there are weirder ways to learn about death

Start from the beginning

"If you wanted me dead, I'd be dead."

"Yes, you would."

"But I'm not."

"Yet."

"Where is Stefan?" she demanded.

"He's upstairs singing 'The Rain in Spain,'" he answered, opening the door for her to enter. "Knock yourself out."

The door shut and Elena entered, heading in Evelyn's direction. She ran upstairs quickly. "It's Elena," Evelyn announced. "Go to her before she comes in here."

Stefan exited the room a moment later as Elena called for him. Elena had stayed for about thirty minutes checking in on Vicki.

"Coffee is our friend," Stefan explained as Evelyn made her way downstairs. "It's the caffeine. It circulates through our veins, and it warms our body so we're not so cold to the touch."

"Well, what if I wanna drink human blood?" she asked.

"You're gonna have to learn to live with that urge and fight it on a daily basis," he explained. "One day at a time."

"Oh god!" she groaned. "Don't start with that whole 12 steps thing. School counselor has been down that road, and it doesn't work for me."

"It can work," he pointed out. "It's your choice, Vicki."

"So you've never tasted human blood?"

Stefan grew uncomfortable at this, "Not in a long time."

"How long?"

"Years and years," he replied. I'm not proud of my past behavior."

"Does this sketchy feeling ever go away? It's like I have a massive hangover," she asked before she continued to ramble, not giving Stefan a chance to answer any questions. "This daylight thing is a bitch. I need more blood. Where's your bathroom? I have to pee. Why do I have to pee? I thought I was dead."

Evelyn watched the girl curiously as she left the room. Stefan looked up at her, clearly exasperated, "I'm gonna get her some more. I'll be quick." She nodded in response before leaning against the wall and waiting for someone to show up.

"False alarm," Vicki announced. "My body's feeling really funky. It's a good funk, but it's weird."

"Hmm," Evelyn replied as the girl pulled out her phone. "Who are you calling?"

"Jeremy."

"You can't see Jeremy anymore," Evelyn shook her head. "Especially now that you're a creature of the night."

"Oh, come on, don't you start," she rolled her eyes. "I'm gonna see whoever I wanna see."

"Over my dead body."

"That can be arranged," Vicki said, stepping closer, "I would never hurt Jeremy."

"I'm not letting you anywhere near Jeremy, you got it?"

"Oh really?" she inquired. "And how long have you been preparing the 'you're not good enough' speech? I'm assuming it predates the whole vampire thing."

"Your assumptions are right, long before," Evelyn answered honestly. "Let's see, was it when you started with the drugs, or maybe when your younger brother had to take care of you because you couldn't do it yourself? Maybe it was more recent, like when you threatened me because I got a ride from your ex?" She raised an eyebrow, "Stay the hell away from my brother."

"Or what?" she asked before pushing me up against the wall, holding her arm against Evelyn's throat, making breathing difficult for the girl. "Let's get one thing straight, bitch. You are just an insecure piece of shit that plays with people's feelings and leaves. All I see when I look at you is someone who is worthless. I'm gonna see Jeremy whenever I wanna see Jeremy, because I have some fun new toys to play with, and I won't think twice about ripping your little head off. You got it?"