The Second Battle Of Beruna

They didn't have a plan. They had ideas, but none of them were certain to win. They were enormously outnumbered and overpowered by the Telmarine army.

Y/n's leg was still sore, so running and fighting with a sword wasn't a very good idea. She would be more helpful if she stayed with the archers, perched atop the How, picking off any Telmarines she could. Both Peter and Caspian wanted her to stay inside with her father and the others who wouldn't be participating in the fight, but she immediately refused. She couldn't stand by while others were risking their lives for the cause she was supposed to be supporting.

There was no choice but to ask Aslan for help. No one knew where he was or if he was even still around, but they had to try. Lucy had seen him so she would go to find him. She and Susan would seek past the army that had already gathered. Susan would protect them if they were seen.

Caspian had suggested that Peter should challenge Miraz to a duel, there was always the chance that he wouldn't accept, but it would buy the girls time to sneak past their lines whilst the soldiers distracted by the proposal. Edmund agreed to take the message as King. Along with him had gone Glenstorm and Wimbleweather, a giant.

They had all left several minutes ago. Many of the Narnians were stood outside in their battle armour, trying to look fierce but becoming more and more nervous as more Telmarines arrived. Y/n and Peter were inside, dressed and ready to go, with the rest of the Narnian soldiers. Caspian had left soon after Edmund had, claiming that he wanted to make sure Susan and Lucy got out safe.

Y/n had to get outside soon but she didn't want to leave Peter alone. He had been staring straight ahead, not daring to look at anyone, knowing they could all be dead soon. She knew the signs, she had been nervous enough times to know them like the back of her hand, so she gently grabbed his hand. His eyes found hers and she smiled at him, filling him with a bit of confidence.

"It's going to be okay," she whispered so only they could hear, the other Narnians being distracted by their own conversations to pay attention to them.

Peter let out a sigh. "I hope." He returned her smile. "You know, Y/n, if something does go wrong-"

"It won't."

"I know, but if it does," he took a deep breath, "I want you to know, I really like you." He laughed at his nerves, he was over 1200 years older than her and he still felt like a child. "I'm sorry," he said when he noticed the confused look on Y/n's face. "I really like you and if, when this is all over, and we're both still standing, I'd like to spend some more time with you."

She shyly smiled. The High King of Narnia liked her? The kiss they had shared earlier had told her about as much, but it felt different to hear him actually say it and know that he wanted to continue their relationship. "I'd really like that, Peter. I like you, too."

They stayed there in silence for a few minutes, just staring into each other's eyes and smiling. 

Edmund and the others returned then, signalling the battle was about to begin. Miraz had accepted the proposal, so Peter would get to face him, hopefully ending the war without too many casualties.

Reluctantly, Y/n let go of his hand and gave him a smile before heading to her place among the archers. From there she could watch the fight.

She saw Peter and Edmund leave the How, walking to where Miraz and a few of his men were already prepared for the duel.

The crowd cheered as Peter drew his sword. Both the men placed their helmets on and began the fight.

It started off slow, the two men circling each other waiting for someone to make the first move. Peter was the first to attack, jumping at Miraz. They go back and forth switching between defence and offence until Miraz gains a bit of an upper hand. He knocks Peter's helmet off.