The River

Y/n was standing on the balcony with Miraz and Prunaprismia when Glozelle and the soldiers returned. The look of urgency and concern on the King's face as he handed the baby off to his wife, made her nervous. As soon as he was out of sight, she spoke.

"Your majesty?"

The Queen turned to her servant. "What is it?"

"I was wondering if I could be excused. My father asked if I could help him out today and I told him 'only if the queen says it's okay'." She bit her lip as she paused. "I will still be near if you need me."

"Of course, dear," she said without a second thought.

Y/n raced through the halls to the stables where she knew King Miraz would be. She had seen the same thing he had, a body covered by a tarp, and she needed to know if it was Caspian.

As she approached the stables, her steps turned into tiptoes. She peeked around the door just in time to see a soldier lift the tarp to show the King. It was a dwarf.

Y/n quickly raced back to her father's study.

"Father! Father!" she yelled for him once she had entered the room.

"What is it my child?" he asked putting his hands on her shoulders.

"Caspian," she sighed. "He made it."

Cornelius smiled brightly but his daughter did not share the same excitement.

"But there's a problem." He raised his eyebrows telling her to continue. "The soldiers have returned with a dwarf. I think they plan on killing him."

Her father sat back in his chair and let out a sigh. "Let me think," he whispered to her.

She pulled up a chair and sat next to him.

After a few minutes of silence, he spoke. "I don't think there is anything we can do for him, my dear. Not without putting ourselves in immediate danger."

As she left the room, Y/n quickly made a decision; one that would put her in immediate danger.

Y/n watched from the bushes as two soldiers placed the dwarf in one of the King's boats. When the soldiers had their backs to her, she shook one of the branches near her, catching the eye of the dwarf. She pointed at him, then back at herself, then at the water. She then plugged her nose. She was trying to tell him to hold his breath so she could swim to him when he was dropped, but she wasn't sure if he got the message.

As the boat began to move, Y/n moved with it. She had brought her bow and arrows and they were strapped tightly to her back. The soldiers never saw her but every now and then, she locked eyes with the dwarf.

Suddenly the boat stopped and the soldiers picked up the dwarf. Y/n got ready. She had discarded her boots and her bow by the edge of the river so she could wade into the water under the cover of a fallen tree.

Just as the soldiers were about to drop the dwarf, an arrow hit the side of the boat. All four turned to look in the direction it came from. Four children were standing on the beach. A voice rang out loud and clear.

"Drop him!"

So the soldiers did just that. They threw him into the water and Y/n began swimming towards the dwarf. She could hear the sound of an arrow and bodies jumping into the water, but didn't dare look away from her goal. She dived down with her eyes open, despite the dirty water. When she reached the dwarf, she was not alone. A boy with sandy blond hair had joined her at the bottom of the river. Together, they pushed off the ground and brought the dwarf to air.

Once out of the water, the boy let go, but Y/n knelt down with the dwarf, trying to undo his ties. A young girl quickly joined in and cut the ropes, letting the dwarf spit out the water he had inhaled. Y/n pat his back whilst the girl stood up and joined the others.

Once he had regained his breath, he stood up and glared at the oldest girl. Y/n finally got a good look at the people surrounding them. The young girl who had helped her untie the dwarf's hands looked to be around thirteen years old. She had brown hair and blue eyes, similar to the girl to her left, who's only difference seemed to be age. Unlike the girls, the boys seemed to be opposite each other. The blond one was obviously older and had blue eyes. Beside him, was a younger brunet with brown eyes. All four of them had beautiful clothes made from fine fabrics, Y/n couldn't help but feel ashamed of her mother's old dress.

"'Drop him'!" the dwarf yelled in sarcastic anger. "That's the best you can come up with?"

"A simple 'thank you' would suffice," the older girl replied.

"They were doing fine drowning me without your help!"

"Maybe we should have let them," the blond spoke up.

"Why were they trying to kill you, anyway?" The young girl's voice was soft and sweet, just as Y/n had imagined it to be.

The dwarf looked at her like she was crazy. Y/n looked down. She knew the history of her people. "They're Telmarines. That's what they do," the dwarf said with a quick glance at Y/n.

"Telmarines? In Narnia?" the brunet boy added.

Y/n's eyes flicked up at the lack of knowledge the boy was showing. She looked to the others to see similar confusion on their faces. That's when it clicked. The horn had worked!

"Where have you been for the last few hundred years?" the dwarf asked annoyingly.

"It's a bit of a long story," the youngest said, although, if Y/n was right, she was Lucy, Queen of Narnia.

She looked at each of the people before. When she looked at Peter, he looked back. Their eye's locked and she gave him a slight smile, which he returned.

The dwarf looked at the sword in Peter's hand and then at the rest of the things each was holding. "Oh, you've got to be kidding me," he said. "You're it? The Kings and Queens of Old?"

Peter stepped forward and held out his hand to the dwarf. "High King Peter, the Magnificent," he introduced himself. When the dwarf didn't take his hand, Peter turned to Y/n, who was still sitting on the ground, and helped her up. She smiled as he let go, before remembering her manners and giving them a small bow.

"You probably could've left off that last bit," Susan said to Peter.

"Probably," the dwarf agreed, chuckling slightly. Y/n chuckled slightly too but bit her lip when she realized it was rude to laugh at a king.

"You might be surprised," Peter said drawing his sword. Y/n stepped back along with Susan and Lucy.

"Oh," the dwarf began, "you don't want to do that, boy."

"Not me," Peter said handing the sword to him. "Him." He gestured to Edmund, who drew his own sword. As the dwarf took the sword it dropped heavily to the ground.

Y/n watched in anticipation. The whole reason she had come out here was to save the dwarf, was she to now watch as he got slain for rudeness by a King of Old?

Suddenly and quickly, the dwarf began to attack Edmund, causing Lucy to call out, "Edmund!" After recovering from the initial shock, it was clear Edmund was the stronger fighter. Once disarming the dwarf, he stopped.

"Beards and bedsteads," the dwarf exclaimed, dropping to his knees. "Maybe that horn worked after all." Y/n smiled, already knowing that the horn had worked.

"What horn?" Susan asked him.