"What the fuck was he thinking?" She questioned, more to herself than Arthur.

"I haven't a fucking clue but I'll beat the answer out of him if I have to." The man huffed, fists clenched to prove his point.

This is when the women had to step into men's business. Moving further into the room and shutting the door, Deborah approached Arthur. "That's the last thing you're going to do. The only way Tommy will tell us what he's up to is if we catch him in the act." She explained. "Don't go accusing him of shit until I have this figured out." Was the final warning before she left the office.

Now all she had to do was make sure Arthur and Tommy avoided crossing paths until she learnt more about this powder trick. Unfortunately, she didn't even make it to her jacket and purse before the sound of John calling Tommy's name announced his presence. Not only did she not want to break up another Shelby brother argument, but she also didn't fancy being in Tommy Shelby's presence. Deborah just prayed she made it out the door without any interruptions. 

"Hey Deb! Where do you think you're off to?" John yelled through the shop, causing the once loud chatter to come to a sudden halt. 

Just as she turned to face the loudest brother, someone unexpected spoke up. "What's she doing here?" Tommy questioned or more like demanded to know.

John looked a bit unsure of the current situation but of course answered his dear brother - probably out of fear. "Deb's been helping out with placing bets and running numbers." He revealed, avoiding the piercing blue eyes staring him down. "We needed an extra hand, especially with the plan you came up with." 

"We don't need the women's help." Tommy spoke, voice smooth but there was a punch behind his words.

Deborah immediately scoffed and shook her head. "You weren't saying that when you were all stuck in trenches." She snapped, referring to the dark days the men spent in the war. 

The other men in the shop watched on in astonishment and terror as the two ex-lover's glared darkly at one another from across the room. It was the most interaction they had seen between the two since before the war and it definitely wasn't anything like how they were.

"We're back now and the men can handle the business. Stick to drinking your tea and sowing your dresses." Tommy told her before turning his back to her.

Deborah tried to keep her mouth shut but it was no use when she felt her blood begin to boil. "Maybe instead I'll head down to Garrison Court, find myself a witch and a horse." She threatened.

Almost immediately Tommy froze and snapped his head around to face her. They both knew she would catch him out and expose him to the real terrifying member of the family - Polly.

"Bye John, see you here tomorrow morning." Deborah said, eyes locked on Tommy's.

She didn't wait for any replies before she was out the door and throwing her jacket on. When the green door shut behind her, Tommy's voice boomed before the chatter of the customers started up again. 

                                                                             ☾

      It wasn't a surprise when a family meeting was called later that evening by Arthur. There was no choice on attending, each member of the family had to attend or there was consequences, usually from Polly. They were usually filled with orders from the men and nods from the women who had long given up on voicing their opinions on the matters.