Chapter 13: Physician's Apprentice

Start from the beginning

"Are you alright?" Gaius asks, now appearing in front of me. I must have gotten lost in my thoughts for a moment and didn't notice his movement.

"Yes...I just..." I pause, taking a moment to try and word how I feel. I put on a mask with everyone else, but like Merlin, I find myself unable to hide anything from Gaius. "I feel like everyone has too much faith in me."

"Do you not believe you can change?"

"No..."

"Then why not let yourself see the faith that others do?" Gaius asks, placing his hands on both my shoulders.

There is no honest answer to his question. I couldn't come up with a real solution if I tried. "I don't know", I whisper, looking down to the floor.

"I think..." Gaius begins, pulling my chin up with his index finger to force my gaze on him. "You need to open your mind. Envision a clean slate and paint it with new opportunities."

"I'm trying. It can just...be hard sometimes," I explain truthfully, letting some of my worries out in the open. "I know I have walls-as everyone keeps reminding me-and I'm trying to let them down...but it's hard after living so long with them up."

"Of course, Edythe. It is only natural that you will find obstacles in your new path," Gaius notes wisely. "I will help you as best I can, as I am sure Arthur and many other people here will."

***

"The tavern?" Arthur and I ask in unison, giving each other a similar look of disgust.

"Yes! What is a more everyday experience than working in the tavern!" Gwaine offers, a little too excited by the idea.

"I could think of a few", Leon counters, also surprised by Gwaine's proposition.

"When I said I need your guidance, Gwaine, I didn't mean it", Arthur notes, leaning back in his chair. "I didn't think you were going to give opinions when you insisted Edythe needs emotional support-"

"Which I don't", I add, glaring at Gwaine for even suggesting such a thing.

Arthur had summoned for us to have a council meeting in my room, bringing along everyone present in Olaf's Kingdom to be my support along with Agravaine and Gaius for further influence. Most men stand whilst Arthur, Agravaine, Gaius and I sit. Merlin stands behind Gaius whilst the Knights gather around the table.

"Sire, if I may", Gaius interjects, "I have observed Edythe having some knowledge in healing. I want to propose that she become my apprentice."

"That is a good option", Arthur notes, looking to me for clarification.

I nod, not too sure what else there is that I could do. At least this way, I could put some of what I know to good use and learn more. Also, if I have something to focus on, it'll make getting used to the change easier.

"Still think my ideas better", Gwaine grumbles, crossing his arms. The other knights roll their eyes.

"Sire, do we really trust this thief enough to treat your people" Agravaine hisses, giving me a glare in his annoyance. I provide the raven-haired man with a scroll in response.

"Uncle, I've assured you that Edythe will be a wise edition to Camelot" Arthur scrolls back at his uncle, making me feel quite smug. "Gaius, I think that is a brilliant idea. Edythe will have much to learn from you."

"Well, we can't have her stay with Gaius. His chambers are crowded enough between all his equipment and Merlin", Agravaine protests, seeming to pick at anything that'll put a thorn in my side. I glare at him, already beginning to see what Gwaine had explained to me of the King's Uncle.