Chapter 12: Camelot

Start from the beginning

"Gwen!" a voice calls, pulling my mind from the stone. Gwen also looks toward the voice, a large smile spreading across her face as Elyan and Gwaine approach. "I see Arthur's put you in charge of accompanying Edythe", Elyan observes, walking forward to embrace Gwen in a hug.

I raise an eyebrow, not prepared for that greeting between the two. That's more than a friendly greeting, but I'm not sure it's a romantic greeting either. Though, I'm not one to talk, not knowing emotions so well. Gwaine gives a welcoming smile and waves to Gwen before turning to provide me with another wave. I offer a half-hearted wave, forcing a smile to my face in the awkwardness.

"Mind if I steal my sister for a moment?" Elyan asks me, a warm smile on his face.

I mentally slap myself for not catching onto the relationship between the two. The similarities appear to me almost as fast as his words. I give the sweetest smile I can manage, nodding to the Knight as he escorts Gwen, his sister, away. "I won't leave you with Gwaine for too long, I promise", Elyan adds, gaining a nudge from Gwaine on his departure.

"I can be good company when I want to be!" Gwaine calls after Elyan, gaining a chuckle from me.

"I'm starting to get the impression you don't shut up", I observe, placing the emerald necklace back on the store's table. I give it one last admiring glance before moving on from the store, giving the owner a thankful smile. He nods in appreciation.

"I can when I want to", Gwaine repeats for me, a chuckle behind his words. I smirk, rolling my eyes. "So, what's the verdict?"

"Hm?"

"How long is the sentence?"

I come to a stop to face Gwaine, confused by what he is trying to ask. "Speak English, please."

I take note that the sound of my voice is coming back.

Gwaine chuckles. "How long are you staying in Camelot?" he asks, now speaking a language I can understand.

"Ohhh, why didn't you just say so?"

"I'm sorry, I just don't know how to define the situation."

"You don't."

"So?"

"So...?"

"How long?"

"Oh right. I'm not too sure, to be honest with you. Arthur hasn't had a chance to speak with me," I answer. We stop at the next store. I admire the strange objects scattered, not appearing to follow a specific category.

"That'd probably be Agravaine's doing", Gwaine admits, leaning against the table next to me as I examine the objects.

I step away from the knight, feeling he's too in my personal space, not because I dislike him, just out of habit. "Agravaine?"

"He doesn't often approve of Arthur's decisions. It makes it hard to get anything done around here," Gwaine explains, my slight shuffle away bringing a smirk to his face. I tense up as the knight creeps closer again. "Being an outsider and all, Agravaine will try to change Arthur's decision to help you."

"Should I be worried?" I ask, scooting away again. I remember Arthur's uncle being annoying every time he spoke over me when I came through Camelot. He seemed to try and sway any of the King's decisions, which made it hard to waste time and play my tricks.

"No, not at all", Gwaine exclaims. "Arthur's far too fond of you. We all are. Agravaine can't compete."

Gwaine's words catch my attention, pulling my focus from the objects to the Knight. "You probably shouldn't be."