Chapter 10: Nocturne

Start from the beginning

Brows quirking inquisitively, he idly wondered who she was. It looked like... Could it be...?

Ladybug?

The young woman's eyes popped open and she jolted into a seated position, spine ramrod straight. Her head whipped around and her eyes locked on his like magnets, blinking in surprise.

Oh. He'd said that out loud.

She let out a noise somewhere between a laugh and a sob. Her hand shot up to her temple (with Chat immediately missing its softness and warmth) and she breathed out in surprise, "You're awake!!"

He blinked in recognition.

"M-Marinette?" His voice was deep, raspy and sore, as if he'd been coughing.

Or screaming...?

Marinette quickly wiped away some drool from her chin, then smoothed and tucked some stray hair behind her ears (which didn't do much for the remainder of her almost comical bedhead, but he wasn't about to mention that) stammering, "Marinette! Y-yeah, that's me! Hah! Haha... N-nice to meet you?"

Chat blinked. "H-hi..." he replied sheepishly, curling in on himself.

More nervous laughter. Flustered and still attempting to finger-comb her hair and rid her nightshirt from the myriad of wrinkles, she continued, "A-although I guess we may have already met, since you know my name."

Her movements ceased and she hesitated. Cocking an eyebrow, she asked with a more tempered voice, "Do we know each other?"

Now it was Chat's turn to fluster and stammer. He fidgeted with an edge of the bedcovers, looking everywhere but at her.

"I'm— that is, we-we've— I mean..."

His chest felt tight. Despite all his crimes, all of his sins and his shame, part of him wanted to tell her; wanted someone to know. Someone who had nothing to do with any of this horrible mess. And it might as well be Marinette, who he cared for immensely and trusted implicitly. She'd be the perfect confidante.

However... it was because he loved his friend that he knew he couldn't. He couldn't place that kind of burden on her. And it pained him. More than he could express.

He groaned, exhaling deeply, rubbing the back of his neck. With a melancholic heaviness to his voice, he replied quietly, "I shouldn't tell you. I'm sorry."

"Oh, right..." Marinette said faintly, trying to hide her disappointment. But as always, the poor girl wore her heart on her sleeve and could never conceal her feelings no matter how hard she tried, for better or worse. She looked away guiltily, almost seeming upset at herself for having asked in the first place.

Chat felt awful. She had every right to ask that question, especially after he'd blurted out her name before passing out. Why wouldn't she be curious? It just didn't feel fair that he had an advantage over her like this.

He explained further, partly to remind himself, "I don't want you and your family to be in danger from Hawkmoth if he were to somehow find out that you helped me."

Marinette shyly hummed in affirmation as she shifted, clearly stiff from having fallen asleep in a half seated position. Letting out a small grunt, she stretched out her legs and wiggled her feet to get the circulation flowing again.

She shrugged timidly. "My legs are asleep," she muttered with a lopsided but good-natured smile. Chat's eyes were drawn to the movement; her socks were pink, fuzzy, and had a pattern of tiny, rainbow-colored macarons.

He smiled back affectionately. She's so adorable.

She looked up at him, aqua blue meeting glowing emerald green.