Chapter 8: Abbandono (part 1 of 4)

Music glossary:
Con abbandono: 
Unrestrained; yielding to emotion; carried away with passion
------------
French Glossary:
Mon soleil:
  My sun

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

--TEN YEARS AGO--

(Mood Music: Hymne à l'amour - Josh Groban)

"So, what do you think? Red or blue?" a mild, baritone voice crooned over Adrien's shoulder.

Adrien scrutinized the shimmery fabric, slowly running his fingers over its length, his small hands not quite able to hold the entirety of the garment. "Definitely blue," he concluded. "It's her favorite."

"Indeed, it is. Sapphire blue, to be exact," Gabriel remarked, placing the gowns into their respective boxes. "Your mother is a remarkable woman, and she deserves nothing but the best. Especially on her birthday."

"Wanna see the card I made for her?" Adrien chirped eagerly as he hopped off the chair to retrieve the aforementioned card from a nearby table.

Gabriel took the card gingerly and held it up, careful to not get any of the overabundant glitter on himself. "Hmm, your picture of– a... goat, is it?– is quite charming."

Adrien giggled, his toothy smile displaying two missing front teeth, which he'd recently lost (and been richly recompensed for). "It's not a goat, it's a hamster!"

Gabriel managed to hide his surprise well. "Ah, yes, of course. Also, your handwriting has improved, and your spelling is impeccable. Perfect as always," he remarked as he handed the card back.

"Thanks, Papa!" Adrien beamed, thrilled that his efforts were acknowledged. "I've been practicing!"

Gabriel smiled back fondly. He put a hand on Adrien's shoulder and said, "Come, it's dinnertime. Let's meet up with your mother."

Once the card was put away, the pair traversed down the spacious halls of the mansion towards the dining room.

"I can't wait til her surprise party on Saturday!" Adrien whispered to his father as they walked, buzzing with excitement. "I wish it was here already!"

Gabriel chuckled, amused by his son's enthusiasm. "Well, until we figure out a way to time travel, we'll just have to wait, and keep it a secret."

Later that night, Emilie Agreste assisted a freshly bathed Adrien in brushing his teeth.

"Have you been enjoying your piano lessons, mon soleil?"

"Mnnnh-hnn!" Adrien mumbled approvingly.

"I'm glad. You should play for me tomorrow and show me that new piece you've been working on," she replied, trying to brush out some rather stubborn hair on either side of his head. "Hmm, I can't get these cowlicks to stay down," she said with mock irritation. Her mouth quirked upward and she spiked the hair up even higher with her fingertips. "They kind of look like cat ears, don't you think? You're definitely the cutest kitten I've ever seen," she joked, ruffling his soft, damp hair.

Adrien giggled, mouth still full of toothpaste.

"Except that this little kitten loooooves his bath time, doesn't he?" she remarked as she finally succeeded in smoothing out his hair. "And you know what instruments cats play, instead of the piano?" she asked casually.

Adrien's eyebrows rose up in silent question as he swished water in his mouth.

She leaned down by his head and playfully replied, "Purr- cussion."

With a loud snort, Adrien sprayed water all over the bathroom mirror as he busted out laughing. Emilie giggled mischievously, doubling over with laughter at Adrien's stupefied face.

"Mama, that was soooo cheesy!" he laughed, wiping the water and toothpaste that dribbled down his chin.

Snickering through her teeth, she replied, "Well, you still laughed, so it can't have been that bad!"

"If Papa hears it, you'll be in treble," he countered, and Emilie's snickering turned into a full-blown cackle.

Still giggling, they quickly wiped down the mirror and countertops, then strolled down the halls towards Gabriel's office.

Emilie rapped on the door a couple of times before opening it, peering around to look for him.

Gabriel sat behind his desk, poring over his work. "Yes?" he answered as he wrote.

"Helloooo~ my darling husband," Emilie lilted coquettishly.

Gabriel lifted his head, then smiled when he saw the two of them. "Ah, it's my two favorite people in the world. What can I do for you?"

"Our little sunshine child is here to say goodnight," Emilie replied, shuffling Adrien into the enormous room.

"Oh!" Gabriel glanced at the clock, eyebrows raised. "I didn't realize it was that time of the day already," he said, stretching out his stiff limbs. He pushed his chair back and waited for his son as he scampered towards him.

The seven-year-old leaped into his father's arms, causing him to grunt slightly and making the wheeled desk chair scoot back a few inches.

Gabriel chuckled and patted Adrien's head. "If you're big enough to knock the wind out of me, you're old enough to help me with all this paperwork."

Emilie leaned on the doorframe, looking on warmly. "He's definitely having a growth spurt; he keeps outgrowing all his clothes!"

A female voice behind her spoke, "Would you like me to order some new clothes for him, Emilie?"

Emilie turned around to face the desk on the other side of the room, and beamed. "Oh, would you, Nathalie? You're the best!"

Adrien returned to his mother, waving back enthusiastically as he was ushered out, "Good night, Nathalie! Don't work too hard!"

The door closed behind them and the room was quiet once again. Gabriel and Nathalie looked at each other with matching grins, silently acknowledging how Emilie and Adrien carried such life and exuberance wherever they went.

Nathalie remarked as she resumed organizing some documents, "He becomes more and more like his mother every day, doesn't he?"

"Yes, he certainly does," Gabriel replied as he leaned back in his chair, his smile growing wider. "I'm the luckiest man in the world."

--------------------------

(CONTINUED IN PART 2)

(I'm splitting the chapters in parts so the music is easier to listen to while reading)