Chapter 25: Romanza (Part 3 of 4)

(Continued from part 2)

(Mood Music:  "A Diabolic Waltz" - Taku Iwasaki)

Lila Rossi quirked an eyebrow with mild curiosity at her three classmates as they walked away. Albeit not enough curiosity to investigate. She'd taken refuge when Alya showed up and had seen everything that had transpired afterwards. With a frown, she let out a small huff. It's not like she was jealous of the couple, of course. She just couldn't understand how so many people in her grade had a significant other. Alya and Nino, Mylène and Ivan, peppy Rose and that quiet goth girl... the list went on. Their standards were just lower than hers, she supposed. Beggars can't be choosers and all that.

But even Adrien, who had been hanging around with that horrid Marinette... ugh! She shuddered to think about him getting stuck with someone like her. All Lila needed was an opportunity to show him that he could do better, and that he didn't have to settle for such an airheaded, self-righteous, and neurotic person such as Marinette. There must be some way to chase her away and rescue poor Adrien.

Lila sighed, shelving that thought for a later date. She stepped out from her hiding spot under a stairwell, aiming to leave the premises as was the norm during an akuma attack. It was boring here anyway. Sticking close to the edges of the spacious outdoor court to remain unseen, she headed towards the exit.

That's when she saw him: Adrien Agreste hurriedly darting back and forth between classrooms. What could he be up to? Searching for something, perhaps?

Intrigued, she decided to approach him and observe. Before she could conceal herself, she accidentally stepped on a dry leaf, which made a small crunch sound that echoed through the empty hall. Adrien whipped around and their eyes met. Lila's eyes widened and she froze mid-step.

His lips were black.

She knew what that meant. She'd had a clear enough view of Alya to know. Lila held her breath, glued to the spot like a deer in headlights. Adrien studied her for a moment and paused. Then, against her expectations, he walked away, carrying on with his search.

Lila blinked. What just happened?? He'd just... left her alone? How very odd. She'd expected a much more... volatile reaction. She remembered the conversation between Alya and Nino earlier. Since he was acting completely indifferent to her, it meant he actually felt the opposite towards her, right? Could that mean that he... liked her? She decided to continue to follow him, spurred on by equal parts curiosity and foolhardiness.

"Wait! Adrien! Why didn't you attack me?" she asked, catching up to him.

The spellbound Adrien didn't even spare her a glance. "You're not who I'm looking for."

Lila's features twisted in confusion. "Who are you looking for?"

Adrien huffed. "I'm waiting for Ladybug. She'll be here soon. But in the meantime, I need to take care of Marinette."

Now Lila was even more confused. "Ladybug??  Why would you be looking for her?"

He practically snarled, "Because she's the most horrible person ever! UGH! Simply the worst! Dark Cupid wants her miraculous, so I'd be happy to assist with that. She doesn't deserve a miraculous!"

"O...kay?" Lila replied, still a bit puzzled. Apparently Dark Cupid could make his minions do Hawkmoth's bidding as well. She doubted how effective Adrien's wrath would be against a superhero, though. Another question remained. "So why are you looking for Marinette?"

"Isn't it obvious? Because I loathe her," he hissed with a scowl.

The girl shrugged. Understandable.

"Fair enough. What are you gonna do once you find her?"

An eerie grin crept upon his face. "What do you think?" he replied darkly.

"I see," Lila said, raising an eyebrow. The side of her mouth quirked upwards as she considered his words. "Well, she didn't go that way, silly."

He turned to face her. "What?? You know where she is?! Show me!"

Lila grinned widely, and her insides tingled with anticipation. This would be the perfect opportunity to put that fool Marinette in her place.

(Continued in part 4)