Chapter 22: Scherzo (Part 3 of 3)

(Continued from part 2)

(Mood Music:  "Main Theme" - Resident Evil: Outbreak OST, Tetsuya Shibata)

Earlier, during Chat Noir's phone call—

Upstairs in Marinette's bedroom, the young woman patted Tikki on  the head as the kwami watched one of her favorite television shows on  the computer.

"I'll be back in a few, I'll just be downstairs. I'm gonna box up the cake and maybe have another cup of tea with my mom."

"M'kay," Tikki mumbled, some cookie crumbs falling from her mouth, her attention still fully on her program.

Marinette  smiled in amusement. Few things could command Tikki's attention as  completely as the climactic scenes of a romantic drama.

Downstairs,  her mother was on the phone with a friend and they laughed together  about Jagged Stone's latest antics. Marinette launched into a tirade  about how Jagged needed to either settle down and start an animal  sanctuary, or wait until he retired from stardom before "saving" all  these exotic pets in need, since the life of a touring rock star was not  conducive to fostering proper animal behavior.

After realizing  that her fervent speech had made her run late, she quickly packed up her  cake and holstered her purse, then raced out the door towards the  Agreste residence.

Without double checking if Tikki was in her purse.

-----

The young woman arrived at the mansion in record time and only  moderately out of breath. She opened the cake box to make sure it had  survived the trip unscathed, and upon confirmation, she rang the  intercom at the front gate. She rocked back and forth on the balls of  her feet as a whole minute passed, then she rang again.

A gruff  voice barked from the other side of the intercom, "If you're here to  sell something, go away. If you're here looking for a job in the fashion  industry, go away. If you're here about my son's birthday, put your  gift into the mailbox and go away. Or better yet, take it with you and  go away."

"Umm... it doesn't fit in the mailbox."

"Then we don't need it. Drop off a birthday card like all the other fangirls and leave."

"Wait! Monsieur Agreste, I'm one of Adrien's classmates. Could I wish him a happy birthday over the intercom?"

"No."

"Then at least let me drop off this cake! I baked it myself! Could you let him know it's from Marinette Dupain-Cheng? Please?"

The voice paused, seeming to recognize the name.

"Miss  Dupain-Cheng, my apologies. We've had many obnoxious fans try to get  close to my son today. But since you're an actual friend of his, why  don't you come in and wish a happy birthday to him yourself?"

Marinette's face lit up with joy. "Really?! That would be awesome! Thank you, Mr. Agreste!" 

There  was a long beep, then the immense gate slid open almost noiselessly.  Marinette stepped through and made her way to the front door.

When  she was halfway across the driveway, the door slowly swung open, and,  shockingly, Gabriel Agreste himself stepped out onto the front steps.  His skin was so pale, it looked like he hadn't set foot outside in weeks  and, if the weather wasn't so overcast today, Marinette would have  almost feared he'd vaporize in the sunlight like a vampire. 

He  stood there in his usual stoic way until a coughing fit overtook him,  and he brought out a handkerchief to cover his mouth. Marinette picked  up the pace and rushed over to him, frowning in concern.