Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

"Well doesn't being a Consort usually involve a wedding ceremony?" I asked, "Like isn't that proper protocol? I wouldn't want to embarrass you in front of the Court."

Damien smiled.

"Is that what you want?" he asked.

"Someday," I admitted.

Damien sat down next to me and looked into my eyes, I looked into his and was surprised at the amount of intensity in them.

"Don't think for one second that you aren't my Consort just because you aren't my wife," he told me, "I don't care what the Court says, you're my Consort, my love, my goddess, and the most beautiful creature to ever walk the earth. I love you."

Before I could reply, he went over to his leather jacket and pulled a small object out of one of the pockets.

"We've been together for about a year now, and I really should have done this a week ago, but—" Damien was cut off by the sound of someone knocking on the door.

"Damien, it's time for Court," I heard Sorina call.

Damien looked a little disappointed that we'd been interrupted, but then he turned to me.

"Meet me in my Mother's garden tonight, after sunset?" he asked.

I nodded.

He left, leaving me wondering what he had been trying to say earlier. But I didn't have time to dwell on it too much since I felt something coming up my throat. I threw back the covers and rushed to the bathroom, where I threw up the contents of my stomach into the toilet. I rinsed out my mouth and got ready for the day. It must have been something I'd eaten while being held captive that had made me sick. It was probably food poisoning.

*Damien*

*Damien*

I walked down the hall with Sorina.

"Do you have any idea what you interrupted?!" I asked her. She shook her head and looked at me curiously. I held up the small object that had been burning a hole in my pocket for days now. A small, black, velvet ring box.

"You were going to propose?!" Sorina asked.

"Shh," I shushed her, "Not so loud!"

"Sorry," she whispered back, "How long have you been holding on to that?"

"I got Mother's ring restored the day before Selena was taken," I admitted, "I feel like this is right. But at least now, I can make a proper proposal, so I suppose there's a silver lining to your interruption."

"You're welcome," Sorina smirked, "I'll tell Stef and Lex that we aren't going out to party tonight. We're all going to celebrate with you and Selena."