Chapter 25: "War Machine rocks with an X, all caps."

Start from the beginning

Harley stepped back a bit as Dad got in the car. Dad started the car, but Harley didn't move. Dad rolled down the window and looked at him. I sat the file on the dash.

"I'm sorry kid. You did good." Dad smiled softly at him.

"So you're just going to leave me here, like my dad." Harley stared at Dad. I unwrapped my wound and cringed. My jacket was covered in blood.

"...yeah." Dad nodded. "Wait, your guilt tripping me aren't you?" Dad realized. I smiled out his window to Harley.

"See ya again soon Harley! You did great!" I smiled at him. He just gave me puppy eyes.

"I'm cold." He snuggled into his coat with a pout.

"...aw..." I whispered to myself. Dad gave me a 'really' look. I shrugged. He's adorable!

"I can tell. You wanna know how I can tell... because we're connected." Dad drove away. I looked in the glove compartment and saw some paper towels. I looked around for a water bottle or something. I found a half empty bottle in the back seat. I got the paper towels wet and lightly cleaned the blood off. "You okay?"

"Yea I'm fine. I just need to clean it up. I don't think I need stitches." I reassured him with a smile. He nodded.

"We can stop somewhere to get some supply's. We just had to get as far away from there as fast as we could. That blast didn't kill him. He's gonna be pissed though." Dad stated. I nodded.

"What are we gonna do now?" I asked Dad. He looked down the dark road thoughtfully. His hands tightened on the steering wheel. He sighed as he rubbed his forehead in frustration. I cleaned my hands and just patted them dry on my shirt. I grabbed the file and started to look through it. I flipped through the pages.

"Wait." Dad spoke up. I looked over to him. He grabbed a page and looked at MIA. He flipped it over. AIM? He shook his head in disbelief and gave me the page back.

"What is it?" I questioned. He pointed to the three letters.

"AIM. I know what that is... and I know who runs it. Take a look." He continued driving. Take a look? What does that mean? Oh! I looked inside his head. A flashback from... 1999. Killian? Maya? I pulled out of his mind.

"Killian wanted Maya to work for her. What if she is working for Killian now?" I gasped. "She's with Pepper. I couldn't get a good read on her... her mind was blocked by something. I had this bad feeling about her." Dad's eyes widened slightly at the thought of Pepper in the hands of Killian and knowing the things he can do. He pulled out Harley's mom's phone and started to dial a number. Harley let us take her phone and he would just use the land line. I know this isn't such a great idea, but it works I guess. He put the phone on speaker. After a few rings, the person picked up.

"Hello." Rhodey answered. I grinned at the sound of his voice.

"Remember a chick straddling you and you look up, and suddenly she was glowing from the inside out." Dad looked through the papers. "Kinda like a bright orange."

"Yeah, I had that. Who is this?" He asked confused.

"It's us Rhodey. It's not like a terrorist can kill us that easily." I shrugged nonchalantly. Dad rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, hey pal. Anyway, last time I went missing, if I remember correctly, you came looking for me. What are you doing?" Dad asked him. Rhodey pauses for a moment.

"Uh, little knock and talk. Making friends in Pakistan. What you two doing?" He replied.

"Your big redesign, your big brand, that was AIM right?" Dad questioned.

"Yeah..." Rhodey sounded confused, but went with it, like always. Dad crumpled the paper up and threw it into the back seat.

"I'm gonna find a heavy duty comm sat, I need your log in." Dad told him.

"It's the same as it's always been, Warmachine68."

"And password please." Dad spoke nicely. He said please.

"Well, I gotta change it every time you hack in Tony." Hack? I chuckled.

"It's not the 80's, nobody says hack anymore. Gimme your log in." Rhodes paused for a minute. I smirked.

"...Warmachine rocks with an X all caps..." he sighed. Dad and I laughed at the password. I heard a fake chuckle from Rhodes. "Yeah ok..."

"That is

"That is... so much better then Iron Patriot." Dad stated. I gasped in surprise as Dad did a quick u-turn. I looked at the sign we are passing from the second time.

Miss. Chattanooga
Christmas Pageant