Chapter Twenty: Transfiguration ~ Dastan

As I fell into the open jaws of Death, my life flashed before my eyes. I remembered my first trip to the marketplace when I was but eight years old, how I was ostracized by the children for not having a mother or father, and for living with "the old witch." How Silverstar had encouraged me by telling me that mine was a destiny fit to change the world and how I had completely disregarded her confusing words. I remembered three years later, how I had brought the sword to market to sell, until I was angrily apprehended by Silverstar, who simply replied that the sword was my destiny. Next I saw Jeaquson, and recalled how I refused to leave the farm and become his squire. I had chosen practicality over passion, and as a result my home was destroyed by a wizard. Allie then came to my mind, a poor, confused, defenseless girl trapped in the body of a dragon. I had promised to help her, never to leave her, and yet for a selfish desire to prove myself, I had abandoned her when she needed me the most. I remembered my father, a man who called himself a coward, though nothing could be further from the truth, and how I failed to really bond with him before his untimely demise. I wondered how many moments remained before I left this life. I was nothing but a stable boy with no sense of sacrifice, bravery, or strength.

Or was I? I remembered that it was I who freed Alexandria from the amulet's spell, and I who befriended a dragoness who had talked of eating me. I remembered the strength and compassion Malaki had given me to forgive my father for abandoning me. I had grown to love and respect the father I never knew. I remembered the leap of faith I had taken by refusing to let loose the arrow on Stella Lunaris. I had freed a girl from an uncertain fate as an animal. And now Allie needed me, but I had no way of reaching her with my death impending. Maybe I could have been a hero. But now there was nothing I could do.

Or was there? I realized that Malaki had been with me through everything I had ever done. From sending Allie to help me escape from the wrath of Septimus, to giving me endurance to traverse the barren wastes of Skarenmoor, Malaki had had a hand in everything. Maybe even now, Malaki would do something. Thoughts of my dead father, missing friend, and imperiled kingdom raced through my mind. Death seemed so easy, just to give in, to let go. But I wasn't raised on luxury; I didn't even know the meaning of comfort. Now was the time for breaking free from the confinements of my own practicality. I wasn't a farm boy, not really. That may have been my early life, but what really describes my own destiny? What was it I had told Sabrina earlier? "It's not what I'm given, but what I do with it that truly defines me." I screamed into the wind,

"MALAKI, AL-TISHAR, WHOEVER YOU ARE, I'LL DO IT ALRIGHT? I DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO ME OR IF I LOSE ANYTHING, JUST LET ME SAVE THE KINGDOM OF ORIMORIS! I'M DONE WITH MY COMPLACENT PRACTICALITY RULING EVERY DECISION. ALL THIS TIME I'VE TRUSTED MYSELF. WELL YOU KNOW WHAT? I TRUST YOU MALAKI! YOU HEAR ME? I TRUST YOU MALAKI! YOU HEAR ME? I TRUST YOU, AND YOU ALONE WILL PROVIDE!"

All at once everything stopped. Time began to work backward. I realized that I wasn't falling, but rising! A radiant light showered me in glorious rays, and I felt my body begin to change. Though I previously would have been terrified of such an occurrence, now I relished the transformation. My weak arms rippled with sinew and muscle, my skin turned a brilliant gold, while it hardened and turned to scales. I felt horns sprouting from along a ridge of my back, two wings exploding out of my shoulders, my jaw filling with razor-sharp teeth, and a tail sprouting out of my spine. My wings carried me upward as if they had always been mine. I flew high above the peak and then dove straight for Stoneclaw. The dragon looked up, and an expression of fearful recognition crossed his face.

"No-no-no it can't be! Dastan, I'm sorry! I-I-I!"

"Silence!" I bellowed. "In the name of the Unseen One I pronounce judgment upon you Stoneclaw! May Malaki have mercy on your soul! USARIN!" I let loose a torrent of crimson flames upon the beast that had murdered my father. In one burst of the inferno, he was no more, and nothing remained of the twisted dragon. It seemed as if the whole assembly of Skarenmoor's dragons was watching. Darkclaw, Riverclaw and Roseclaw lay dead, and the crowd had fixed their eyes upon me. Landing atop the rock, I beseeched the dragons of Skarenmoor.