Chapter 10

Sophomore year. Piper and Polly walked into school, not at all excited to start yet another year of school. The two girls arrived at their homeroom a few minutes early. The bell rang.

            A few seconds later, a boy whom Piper barely knew dashed into the room, flustered.

            "I'm sorry," the boy stammered, "I was running late this morning."

            "Sit down Mr. Bloom It's okay." the teacher responded sternly. The only open seat was next to Piper. The boy sat down right next to her and they began to talk. A friendship began to bloom between the two.

            But after a few months it became evident that Larry had a massive crush on Piper . He spent as much time as he could with Piper and kept hinting about his feelings for her. Even though Larry was a nice guy, Piper didn't want to go out with him. Piper started avoiding Larry, and didn't hear much from him until one humid night in June.

            The school year had ended a few days ago. Piper was sitting at home, watching TV. Her parents had just told her that they were moving next week. Her father had been relocated to some small town in New York State, and they needed to move there within the next few days. Piper was deciding how she was going to tell Polly. She couldn't imagine not being able to spend time with her.

            Suddenly her phone started buzzing. The caller ID told her that it was Larry. "Shit," she whispered to herself, "I don't want to talk to him." She let the call go, and then a notification popped up her phone that she had a new voicemail. Hesitantly, Piper unlocked her phone and listened to it.

            "Hey, Piper," Larry said, "I know we haven't talked in a while, but do you think, we could... ummm... go out to dinner sometime... maybe go see a movie or something too?"

            Piper didn't want to go out with anyone at the moment... especially Larry. She didn't call him back.           

            The blonde called Polly and told her about the move. Polly rushed over, and the two girls spent the next few days with each other.

            Before she knew it, her car was all packed up, the house spotless, the new family moving in. As Piper gazed out of the window, she smiled. She was finally getting away from this town.

            The next few weeks went by in a blur. The new town was a bit overwhelming.

            Every once in a while, Piper would get a text from Larry, but she didn't want to talk to him... ever again. She deleted his number, effectively deleting him out of her life.