Chapter 7

Nicky woke up to the front door opening. She looked at her watch. 5:47 am. "Great," she groaned, "up before the crack of dawn again."

            A women stumbled into the room. It was quite evident that she was exhausted.    

            "Hey Nicky. Sorry for waking you. Why are you sleeping on the couch?" the woman said.

            "Hey Diane. Alex had another friend over, Piper. They slept in her room together. And I think I'm gonna head home now." Nicky looked through her bag. "Oh, shit, my phone is in Alex's room."

            "Just be quiet in there. I don't want them to wake up." Diane commented.

            Nicky snuck into Alex's room. From the light coming through the crack of the door, she saw Alex and Piper, fast asleep. Alex's head was on Piper's chest, and Piper's arm was wrapped around Alex.

            "Holy shit," Nicky whispered as she grabbed her phone, "Diane get over here. You gotta see this."

            Diane walked over to the door and peeked over Nicky's shoulder.

            "Wow. How have I not heard about this girl? It seems like they're really close." Diane whispered.

            "I dunno Diane, but I think they really like each other, even if they don't know it yet. I can tell by the way they talk to each other, the way they act around each other, the way that they look at each other." Nicky whispered back.

            Nicky and Diane backed away from the door.

            "I'm really happy for Alex, but this girl better not fucking break her heart." Diane said.

            "I thought the exact same thing last night, but honestly Diane, I don't think she will. She seems like a really cool girl, and Alex seems to always be happy when she is around her. I don't think that Piper is the kind of girl that would hurt someone on purpose." Nicky looked down at her phone "Shit my Mom needs me home. I forgot that she's leaving today. She and my dad are going on a trip today. I'll see you later Diane!"

            After Nicky walked out of the apartment, Diane walked back over to Alex's room. She looked through the crack in the door and smiled. Still asleep, Alex had a smile on her face. It was the happiest that Diane had ever seen her daughter. Seeing Alex like this made her the happiest mother on the planet.