Chapter 18 Help From Friends?

Start from the beginning

Recalling the incident John wonders what he could have done differently that could save him and the rescuers from their fate.

Not only was the safety of all the people he tried to rescue jeopardized but also the fact that he finally had negative records in the law would act against him.

"By any chance did you happen to call that friend of yours?" officer Brad asked pushing his hands behind his neck in the relaxed way making John think if he was interrogating him or having tea time chat with him.

"My friend?" John scrunched his eyebrows, the coffee mug that was placed on the table in front of him stated in confusion. He knew no one as his friend at the time he left the station the other day. The only friend he made was after joining Danny's shop so he didn't knew which friend the officer was referring to.

"uh huh" the officer hiccupped and straightened all of a sudden "t.. that" he gave a thinking pose "Richie rich Tom guy whose son you saved. " he laughed louder this time. Strange John found the laugh awkward "I thought you'd be friends by now. This rich people never forget or repay enough to people they owe."

"I don't owe him anything" John was a bit curt.

"Of course You did' Brad was persistent "you saved his only son the inheriting of billions"

"No" John denied. He did not have much to say except that his only focus was on the forty people who were waiting outside expecting John to save them. "I did what any layman should have done, asking for favors or friendship in return is not fair." John said. He was smothering a little. The officer seemed a little easy and friendly. He might help John thought.

"listen sir" John called "these people outside the station in the bus are in grave danger. They were kidnapped and were about to be sold. Few who were not worth were used for organ trafficking."

"Holy freaking shit!" the fat officer stood from his chair as fast as it could so as not to pick the chair with his fixed butts "you now rescued people from human traffickers. Where did you find them?" he asked too excited "who was the gang leader? Do you know him? Were you able to catch him? We were so looking for the whole gang since months. You are awesome."

Brad blabbered too excited ringing the bell on his desk twice or thrice.

"Hailey" he greeted back the officer who had reported after his first bell ring "there are people outside in the bus. Get them inside quickly. Get their names, age and other details. I will join you soon and take their witnesses."

"Witness for what?" Hailey asked confused.

"You remember the case on human trafficking we were working on?" Brad asked the female officer.

"Yes" she nodded "but instead of so much research and raids we got nothing." She said disappointed "it's a shame."

"No problems officer" Brad dismissed smiling broadly "this tall guy here has all the clues and he has even rescued few of the people."

"Really?" Hailey was surprised but her shock didn't go amiss "who is he?" she asked and without waiting for an answer she continued "one of our secret agents?"

"But I don't think I have heard of him." She said

"No he is none." Brad answered, "this kind man once helped us rescue a kidnapped child and now he is here like a messiah."

"But according to the people who were trafficked " John intervened "the cops are also involved with the gang."

"What are you saying sir?" Hailey was beyond irritated "it is not possible.