26. A huge fault

Chapter 26: A huge fault

Leo's POV

*****

I couldn't feel more ashamed of myself for asking Tara to the dance. During the Christmas holidays she had tried to reach me, and I found myself with a bunch of texts from her when I got back home. 

I wasn't planning on even reading them, but after seeing how Maya betrayed me like that, all I could see was red, and I ended up betraying the promise that I made to myself. I was never supposed to associate with Tara ever again.

I was upset and mad. Tara kept texting me telling me that we should meet up and that she missed me. She still thought that Maya and I were in a relationship, she knew that me giving her a chance meant that I was choosing her over Maya.

I needed to get back at Maya for toying with my emotions. First she chose my best friend over me, then she chose her best friend. 

I was sick of being second best.

Having the nerve to tell me that I was the one throwing everything away angered me. I would have never wanted to throw my relationship with Maya away, she did that all on her own. 

What I couldn't understand was why she got so upset with me for asking someone else to dance, when she accepted Luke's invitation to go with him. 

I tried avoiding her at all costs at school. She looked so broken. 

Then again, so was I.

She went running straight to Luke after everything happened, and I couldn't stand that. My heart ached every time I caught a glimpse of her, I couldn't help it. 

As soon as I got home after school I decided to take a warm shower and clear my head a bit.

Everything seemed so messed up and I couldn't help feeling that maybe I acted a bit too rashly. I was hurt and angry for thinking that Maya had played with my feelings, and despite knowing that I should have confronted her about it, I was just scared.

I was scared that she would tell me that I was just a joke, or that her feelings for me were gone. After someone rang my doorbell and I went to open the door, however, I ended up questioning all my thoughts.

I found the bracelet I had given Maya on Christmas standing on my door step along with a note. I went up to my room and opened the note, fearing what was written on it. 

You gave me this bracelet for us to keep adding our memories. You gave me this bracelet to show me how special I was for you. You made your choice Leon. You decided to create new memories with someone else, and that's okay, but if that's the case then I can't keep this. You told me I was throwing everything away so congratulations, by giving you this back I guess I'm doing so aren't I? But do not pin this on me. 

Regards,

Maya.

It felt as if someone was stabbing daggers in to my chest. It hurt a lot more than I thought it would. I could no longer understand anything. From the note, she seemed to be hurting. She wouldn't be hurting if she was only toying with me. 

I cursed at my rash actions. I cursed at the fact that I could never get myself to confront someone who did me wrong before acting about it. 

I cursed at the fact that I lost the one person that had ever managed to make me happy.

I looked at my covered window, longing to open it and apologise to her, but after the thought of her and Luke almost kissing came back in to my head, all my anger returned.