17. A complete state of euphoria

Chapter 17: A complete state of euphoria

Maya's POV

*****

After all the hard work we put in setting up for the carnival, the awaited day finally came. The day where almost the entire school would gather to play games and have fun with friends. 

It was a huge hit and we were collecting a lot of money for charity, which is all that mattered at the end of the day. 

Ella's kissing booth was certainly a huge help in that. She had a long line filled with boys who had always dreamed of gaining the attention of Ella Valentine, who sadly would never notice them.

She had always complained about being single, and yet never even noticed the number of guys who could only dream about having her look at them.

"I never thought that taking care of the kissing booth meant that I would have to kiss people that smell like feet," she said as soon as I went to quickly check up on how she was doing while Alex was in the bathroom.

I couldn't help but laugh at the disgusted look on her face, making her instantly glare at me. 

"It was your choice to do so, now you have to live with it" I said. "Besides, there seems to be a couple of cute ones," I whispered as soon as a cute, tall, blonde guy was approaching her. 

He handed her the money and I instantly winked at her before leaving her alone to find her future soulmate. 

"Having fun neighbor?" Leo asked as soon as he saw me, that sweet smile of his playing on his lips. 

"It's not as fun without Ella to play the games with me, but Alex isn't that bad" I replied, giving Leo a side hug. 

I quickly let go as soon as I saw Alex approaching us, not wanting him to think anything of it.  

"You can join us if you want" I said, looking up at Leo as soon as Alex stopped next to me, smiling at Leo. 

He looked at Alex and then back at me before giving me a small smile. "Don't want to intrude on your date," he said. "Besides, I'm supposed to be meeting Angie soon," he continued, making my heart feel like it was being kicked. 

I felt guilty for feeling like that. I had no right to be upset that he was hanging out with someone else when I was in a relationship with Alex. I was just glad I had him as a best friend again. 

I simply answered with a nod before he gave me one last smile and walked away with his hands in his pockets. 

"Do you want some cotton candy?" Alex asked, taking my hand in his, making me snap my head away from Leo's retreating figure. 

I looked at him and smiled. 

"Sure," I smiled, before it turned into a frown at what I saw behind him. 

The girl Axel was dating was making out with a guy from the soccer team and Axel was walking away from the both of them. 

I was infuriated at the scene, and my heart hurt for my Axel. I didn't know who she thought she was, but my brother did not deserve that.

Excusing myself from Alex, I ran after my brother, hoping to be able to catch up with him. He needed me, and I was not going to leave him alone. Elliot was probably somewhere with Becca, meaning that it was up to me to be a good sibling towards Axel. We might not be the closest siblings in the world but I could not stand to see any of my brothers hurt because of something that someone else did.