5. I like him

Chapter 5: I like him

Maya's POV

*****

"I can't believe you won," Leo laughed as he held open the diner's door for me. 

"I can't believe you lost. I've never won a go-carting race in my entire life," I replied, earning an eye roll from him.

Go-carting with Leo was really fun. We decided to race and surprisingly, much to his dismay, I won. 

No matter how many times I had go-carted before, never had I managed to beat anyone at it, so when I saw Leo trailing behind me across the finish line, I was surprised. It did, however, give me something to tease him about.

I soon found out that he was a giant sore loser. After I won he accused me of cheating and wanted a rematch, so instead I offered to pay for dinner, which quickly shut him up. Food always won that guy over.

It would win anyone over for that matter.

That was why we were currently walking in one of our favourite diners. Not many people from our school stepped foot in it, mainly because it was a rather old fashioned ones, and most of our peers wouldn't even want to be caught dead in such a joint. 

Much like diners from the past, this one had black and white checkered floor tiles, while the booths were made out of black tables and red seats. The walls of the diner, on the other hand, were covered in vinyls and old-school pictures, the yellow tint caused by humidity emphasising how antique they were. 

"Next time you won't be so lucky," he said, sliding in one of the booths before grabbing a menu, looking at me cheekily as he opened it. 

"Oh, so there's gonna be a next time," I said, sending him a smirk.

"Of course, I mean I know how much you love hanging out with me, who am I to deny you such privilege?" He taunted, making me roll my eyes at his answer. 

In all honesty, I loved being around him, but I was never going to admit that to him. I knew that doing so would only increase his already large enough ego, so instead I resorted to lightly kicking him in the leg as a reply. 

Before I was even able to come up with a witty answer, a tall, dark haired waiter walked over to our table to take our order.

One thing I truly loved from the diner was its authenticity. Not only did it still have jukebox which allowed customers to pick their favourite songs, but the workers also had to wear a uniform, resembling those worn in Hillary Duff's 'A Cinderella Story'. 

"I'll have a thick strawberry milkshake, a portion of cheesy fries and a crispy chicken burger please," I said, closing my menu' as the waiter who according to his tag went by the name of 'Jake' wrote down my order.

"What will you be having?" He asked Leo with a smile after he took my menu'.

"I'll have what she's having, but a chocolate milkshake instead," he said, handing him the menu' as well.

"Copy cat," I jokingly said as Jake walked away.

He quickly snapped his head at me at the sound of my voice, raising his eyebrows at my childhood statement. 

"What? It sounds delicious," he innocently smiled, tilting his head slightly to the side, making him look like an adorable little child. 

"I was so tempted to tell him that you were having a salad," I said with a sneaky smile, knowing that it would have pushed his buttons.